Do JW's still believe this:

by return visitor 7 Replies latest jw friends

• return visitor
    return visitor

In the first issue of the Zion's Watch Tower it had this to say :

"What Is Truth"

This question is one which every sincere Christian should ask and seek to answer. We should learn to love and value truth for its own sake; to respect and honor it by owning and acknowledging it wherever we find it and by whomsoever presented. A truth presented by Satan himself is just as true as a truth stated by God.

Perbaps no class of people are more apt to overlook this fact than the Christian. How often do they in controversy overlook and ignore truth presented by their opponents. This is particularly the case when arguing with an infidel. They feel at perfect liberty to dispute everthing he says of religious subjects. This is not the correct principle. Many infidels are honest - as anxious to speak and believe the truth as are Christians - and if in converse with them we ignore truths which they may advance, we not only fail to convince them of our truths, but put an end to all hope of reaching them; for our failure to admit the evident truth which they advance begets in them contemt for the one who is not honest enough to admit one truth because he does not see how it can be reconciled to another. Accept truth wherever you find it, no matter what it contradicts, and rely for ability to afterwards harmonize it with others upon "the Spirit of truth, which shall guide you into all truth," as Jesus promised. (italics in original text)

Not only do they not believe it, but substitute the word apostate for infidel, and its obious that they don't?

Thoughts?

• Gopher
    Gopher

The primary doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses now is loyalty to the organization. So whatever aligns with what the organization teaches, that's what they look for and listen to.

Any good points put forward by a householder (or a former member) that is out of line is ignored, because the JW is not searching for truth but is searching for converts, or at least seeking mainly to justify his/her belief system.

The author of the article was not a JW, because JW's didn't exist in 1879. The Bible Students were a different breed, before JF Rutherford came along and demanded that all his followers would preach his version of truth in public. With the subtle change from "student" to "witness", the WTS became more about pushing its weird brand of "truth".

• MadTiger
  • bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

good post return. i may present this question to my family. i'm still trying to figure a way to get dialogue open without pushing things into their faces. this may work pretty well.

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower does not care about truth. All they care about is enforced Unity!

• return visitor
    return visitor

Bigdreaux,

I hope it helps.

VM44,

I tend to agree with you, uniformity is more important than truth in witlessland.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Ironic, isn't it?

A so-called faith that refers to itself as 'the truth' defines 'truth' as whatever the GB says. If the GB isn't involved, then truth is the utterance of the one perceived as being more loyal to the GB.

Don't get me started on their mis-definition of 'lie'

Once a predatory organization like this manages to redefine "truth" and "lie" to suit their purposes, they have the 'faithful' where they want them.

Roller (of the 'let your yes, mean yes' sheep class)

• changeling
    changeling

They only recognize as "truth", anything that is printed by the WT.

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit