a little frustrated...(not in that way)

by sparrow 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sparrow
    sparrow

I forwarded the link to the UK JW donation site to my father a couple days ago as for me, it was christendom at its best - give me cash even when you don't have it. He is still a JW although he was DF'd when he married his current JW wife (and she was too). He probably wouldn't be a JW if it wasn't for her and I am hesitant to say too much to him because of her. She is a loyal (even though they had to get DF'd to get married) but at least I am not shunned.

Anyway I got a good payrise today (woohoo!) and was talking to him about it and he says tongue in cheek "now you can donate more from the website". We had a laugh but then he says - "when someone shows me something better I'll change. Until then whats the point".

I don't know what to say to that. I don't have anything better to offer because the only thing better I have is knowing it aint the truth. My father is down to earth and at the end of the day our family motto is "as long as everyone is happy - it doesn't matter" Don't get me wrong - I'm not crying over my relationship with my parents as I know so many people here have had to endure so much once being shunned. It's just so frustrating knowing my father has an open enough mind not to shun me even in the slightest (we still love drinking a few bottles of wine between us) and yet I can't get through.

Don't expect to many replies but just needed to vent

Thx

-sparrow

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Vent away.

Your story reminds me of a converation I had with my die-hard dub father a few years ago. I was, of course, trying to show him why I have no use for the wt, and he replied "they may not be perfect, but it's better than anything else out there. I only stay because I believe in the fundamentals they preach".

Fundamentals??!!! Which ones? Last weeks, last years, or tomorrows?

Brainwashed bunch, they are.

peace

• sparrow
    sparrow

thx stealth for the response.

Continue doing good all. Sorry I couldnt contribute more. Ciao - sparrow

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    "when someone shows me something better I'll change. Until then whats the point"

What they usually mean is "if somebody can show me an organization that is identical to Jehovah's Witnesses but even better than they are then I will join that group.

What they falsely presuppose is that God must be using an organization on earth like the JWs.

The biggest trap the JWs use is in teaching people the only way they can come to God is by being in their organization. Once they are stuck on religious institutions as being the most important thing, their minds are held captive.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I really feel you bud. I know how frustrating it is.

My Dad is an open-minded and passionate guy too. We can still laugh and drink wine or beer together.

I have it better than most here. It just hurts me to see such a good and intelligent guy investing so much in something that's not real.

He has said the same as your father. 'Show me something better.' It's the trained response.

All we can do is love them. We wont have them here forever.

You really touched me with that, sparrow. Thanks for sharing your feelings.

You are not at all alone in what you are experiencing.

Congrats on the raise!

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Hi Sparrow... sounds to me that your father isn't exactly as true believer! Which is good news.

Perhaps there's a better way of putting the problem to your father. There may not be a better organisation in his eyes, but there maybe 'other' organisations that would benefit more from his devotion, time and money. If he spent his time working for a charity, contributing to a charity and believing he could make a difference; surely more good would come from that?

Maybe if you took the lead you could involve him. Find a charity, humanist organisation, skills bank, etc.. etc.. and enjoy making a real difference in the world rather than 'waiting for an absent god'.

Whatever happens, good luck with it.

• helncon
    helncon

I really feel you bud. I know how frustrating it is.

My Dad is an open-minded and passionate guy too. We can still laugh and drink wine or beer together.

I have it better than most here. It just hurts me to see such a good and intelligent guy investing so much in something that's not real.

He has said the same as your father. 'Show me something better.' It's the trained response.

All we can do is love them. We wont have them here forever.

You really touched me with that, sparrow. Thanks for sharing your feelings.

You are not at all alone in what you are experiencing.

Congrats on the raise!

I agree with nvr. Not much else ican add.

Helen

• Mum
    Mum

The folks waiting to be shown something better remind me of a saying of Abigail Van Buren/Dear Abby. They are like a fly in a vinegar jar, thinking it is the sweetest place in the world because they have never tasted honey. As long as they stay in that jar, the honey is not likely to fly into their space looking for them.

"A ship is safe anchored in the harbor, but that is not what ships were built for." - Anonymous

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit