What do we believe Mommy?

by lrkr 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lrkr
    lrkr

My wife just took a class on Hinduism and Buhddism (sp??) and she is telling our son about it. She tells him about how in Tibet they believe that the Dalai Lama has been born 114 times and that the current Dalai Lama could identify the personal possessions of the previous one when he was 4 years old- thus "proving" that he was the reborn Lama.

My son, bewildered, says- "But do we believe that?"

Mom says- "Well, I don't know if I do or not. Sometimes people spend their whole lives trying to figure out what they believe."

I like it. What do you think? She is teaching him to have an open mind and think for himself.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think it's a great idea. Less would be drawn into cults if they were taught about all the belief systems in the world. Just make sure he knows it's okay to be unsure, it's okay to not believe any of it, and it's okay to think for himself.

• PEC
    PEC

IMO, it is fine for and adult to read this crap and decide what they want to believe, but to feed any religion to a four year old is irresponsible, they don't have the capacity to understand. I and many others, have had nightmares as children; because, of being feed this kind of religious BS. Philip

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I think it's a great idea to let children be free to believe what they want. I would have gone a step further when your child said "But do we believe that?" and told him that you are all individuals in the family, and each person can believe in anything they want. The question should have been 'Do YOU believe that?' I know he's only young, but putting that across in a way he could understand would have been something I'd have done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit