would Jesus have celebrated his Bar Mitzvah on his 13th birthday?

by sosad 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sosad
    sosad

i hope this is not stupid question but it struck me talking to a jw friend who was agast that I love celebrating birthdays that as a faithful Jew he would have. or is this a more modern part of jewish tradition?

From a recent thread I had some good points - notably Pauls comment to not judge those that keep "special days" and she was a little taken aback by that although she said that applied to Anniversaries and not Birthdays. She was confident that there was jw reasoning on that, but I can't imagine what that is

• emptywords
    emptywords

Where is the scripture that says it ok to celebrate a wedding aniversary, I have always thought that the hypocrocy of have a wedding ring, (is pagan) and not allowing stupid things like jade, what about the wedding gown the churchy veil and all the pomp of the bride and drawing attention to her.

Some things just seem double standards.

sosad...have no idea about the Bar Mitzvah, but good thinking

• sosad
    sosad

i dimly recall something about jade - what was the deal?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The Bar Mitzvah is a relatively recent development - 15th century.

• sosad
    sosad

thank you for the info - did the Jewish people commemorate birthdays at all in Jesus' time- when she finds this out she will come at me with both barrels blazing (kinda like the candles on a b'day cake)

• emptywords
    emptywords

i dimly recall something about jade - what was the deal? something to do with budah...I see heaps of sisters wearing jade out of rebellion more than anything, will have to look it up on the wt library, new to me to, when I came back I thought it was silly.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Yes and it would have been in the style of My Super Sweet Sixteen (Mtv)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit