The conversation went like this...

by startingover 6 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

A recent thread got me thinking about authenticity of conversations that are retold via print or forums, etc. I seem to remember when I read Ray Franz' book (it's been a while) that there were a lot of conversations he retold in great detail. They were written as if those were the actual words spoken. Did he take notes right after it happened? Were they recorded on tape?

I'm not calling not accusing anyone of adding to their stories. Speaking for myself, I can't exactly recall how a conversation went exactly 5 minutes after it happened. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it seems to me a person's present state of mind can influence their memory.

Comments?

• emptywords
    emptywords

hiya startingover

Good topic,

Rather I see that the essence of what is writen is truth, but detail is added to emphasis a point that means so much to the teller, as they have live the emotion as well. If a wrong has been commited this is far more emotional and certain tears come through without being wet.

When something is suppose to be real, those that read it see it real when the emotion is added weather it be exagerated or not, some call it emotional blackmail others see it tears on paper. Whatever, facts should always be considered before one can take all the rest on board.

• blondie
    blondie

Unfortunately, some of us have memories that are too good, like a movie reel that keeps playing. If we become people who require a recording of everything others relate to us, I doubt we could believe anything. I think that Ray Franz has enough written documentation to support his comments. Even if he had a recording, word for word, others could just say that the recording is fake, altered, etc.

We have to take the whole presentation, not just part.

Blondie (there are some memories that are still too clear that I would like to lose)

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I think it depends on the person. I have a very good memory, I can recall a conversation very well, I can even remember what a person was wearing. I remember what my wife was wearing the first time I met her and the conversation we had in detail. The way I remember is that I "see" it in my mind.

• changeling
    changeling

I see what you're saying, And I'm sure there are those who "embelish". But it does come down to the individual and their ability to remember.

Ray Franz, by the way, is a genius. He learned Spanish as an adult and in no time at all spoke it fluently and with virtualy no accent. His uncle Fred gave talks after he went blind and recited scriptures from memory with no trouble at all. So it does not surprise me in the least that Ray could accurately recount conversations that took place years before.

changeling

• startingover
    startingover

A-C

I wish I had a memory like that.

Emptywords and Blondie,

I understand what you are saying and I agree. Sometimes I am real close to that point of being so skeptical nothing is believable.

(sitting here jealous of those with good memories)

• fedorE
    fedorE

Dont F**** with RayF's brain. His files are extensive and his intelligence in matters of religion,faith, the Bible are HIS LIFE. If a conversation is said to have be spoken with these exact words "........." its more often than not not a very lengthy hard to recall conversation. I remember conversations ive had as an adult with other adults that are not word for word but the gist is there and im just a half wit cpd to RF. LOts of ppl remember war stories and relate them in great detail! Reminds me of AH Macmillans book Faith on the March..where he reminiced on past events........

War Ray Franz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit