Moral High ground : what would you do?

by hillbilly 3 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Ok - here is the scenario.

Bro Oldguy wants to sell his rental house. Bro and Sis Youngmarried want to buy a house. The cut a deal. Oldguy's CPA recommends that he carries the mortgage to his advantage. Oldguy offers a great, low interest, 20 year deal to the Younmarried's, the contract is consumated. All goes along fine for 9 years, Bro Oldguy passes away.

Oldguy wills the contract to his fleshly sister. Now Sister Oldguy is your basic, elderly "Witness nun". She has served in the mission and pioneer work her entire life. Her brother and other sibs have subsidized her ministry financally for years. The morgage will help to provide for her retirement needs.

Got the scene? Ok here is the moral part.

Youngmarried is ready to either sell or refinance. He askes Sister Oldguy if the payoff will require her to consult her financial planner, he want's to give her a "heads up" so to speak so she can get some advice about her taxes if he pays her off early.

During the conversation Sister Oldguy discloses that SHE has the local Kingdom Hall designated in her will to receive the morgage if she passes on.

Now this is the moral question: Would it be more moral and Christ- like to ? :

A- Will Brother and Sister Youngmarried clear title to the house, giving a massive finacial windlfall to a growing family.
    B- Will the mortgage to the Kingdom Hall, essentally making the Youngmarrieds the Halls biggest contributor. This would also put the local congregation in the position of forclosing if Yougmarried gets into hard times.

Feel free to discuss this. I'll let you all know how this did turn out in "real life".

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I won't address what might be more "moral and Christ like," but I would guess that what took place was option (B).

People be damned, the org comes first.

• RN
    RN

So..Give already.. What happened.

RN (In the dark class)

• larc
    larc

From the way I read this, neither answer is correct. The house should be sold and the balance on the mortage should be paid to the sister and the young couple should keep the equity that has built up over time. This is strictly a legal question, not a moral one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit