How does your congregation compare with neighboring congregations?

by erandir 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• erandir
    erandir

Our congregation is one of those diminishing ones where a lot of people move away or fade. When I came into it, the congregation was at zero growth. Now it is negative. We have a couple dominant elders who are control-freaks, a strong undercurrent of gossip, and most people are related to each other (inbred, most likely) by blood and/or marriage. Those last two tend to go together. I'd rate it as an ultra-conservative, ultra-conformist kind of congregation with a lot members doing the double-life thing, especially the younger ones. I'm not saying the double life thing is a bad thing, either. I just don't understand how these ones can stomach the meetings and then go back to their everyday lives.

My congo is so bad that it has people from neighboring congregations looking down on ours and calling it a "bad congregation." LOL That is like a bunch of dogs all refusing to smell a particular dog's crotch. "We're all disgusting, eat-our-own-vomit dogs, but see that dog over there? Now HE's gross!" (Use of illustration: 2 points)

But, doctrinal and organizational issues aside, how did/does your congregation compare to the others around? For example, mine drives people way. In contrast, the one I go to in a blue moon with some friends in another city is one of the "cool" congregations where the majority of people there seem to be well-balanced and much more tolerant. A couple elders there seem to take the WT directives with a grain of salt. People try to mind their own business there. Obviously, they are the exception to the rule.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

definitely less cliquee

• greendawn
    greendawn

If your congo is ultra conservative and conforming why do the nearby congos have a bad opinion about it? They usually value highly such attitudes. I suppose it's because they are too unfriendly to other people.

• blondie
    blondie

Haven't been for several years but I get feedback that it is losing members and that if it weren't for visitors from other congregations, the attendance on Sunday would be about 70% of the publishers assigned there.

Several scandals with elders being removed and df'd for having affairs. Two elders' sons were df'd and have dropped out of the picture. New people move in and move on. The territory is not being "worked" once a year even. They cover the territory by leaving old magazines in the door without even knocking. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

Blondie

• icyestrm
    icyestrm

Its a cold congregation with all sorts of cliques Love is conditioned with money and what things you have

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit