Amazing! Huge underground lake found by Satellite in Darfur

by BlackPearl 4 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Can you imagine the implications of finding water in the desert land of Darfur? Just think, water would flow as never before due to a huge underground lake being discovered. I shutter to think of the relief that these people will have. Farms, crops, lots of food, a burgeoning economy. I guess I never appreciated the value of water before I read this article. Here's to you Darfurian's,

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The recent discovery of a huge underground lake in Sudan could spell an end to four years of conflict in the drought-stricken region of Darfur , a US geologist said Wednesday.

More than 200,000 people have been killed and some two million displaced in the conflict, sparked in part by competing claims to scarce natural resources in the western region, according to humanitarian organizations.

"Access to fresh water is essential for refugee survival, it will help the peace process and provide the necessary resources for the much needed economic development in Darfur," said Farouk El-Baz from Boston University .

The discovery was reported in last month's "International Journal of Remote Sensing" and the Sudanese government has since launched its "1,000 Wells For Darfur" campaign to raise sufficient funds to tap the precious resource.

Egypt has already committed to sinking the first 20 wells free of charge while the United Nations has sought help in selecting the best sites to sink the wells, Baz told AFP.

The United Nations needs water supplies for its planned 20,000-strong joint UN-African Union force, due to deploy in Sudan possibly next year.

The lake was spotted by satellite and lies more than 550 meters (1,800 feet) below sea level. With a surface area of some 30,750 square kilometers (11,800 square miles), it is slightly larger than Belgium or Lake Erie .

The lake may have contained up to 2,530 cubic kilometers (606 cubic miles) of water in the past and was discovered using images from three satellites, one belonging to NASA , another to Canada and a third from the Pentagon .

Scientists were spurred into looking for the lake after the discovery a decade earlier of an underground lake in Egypt north of Darfur that is now used to irrigate some 60,000 hectares (150,000 acres) of land, Baz said.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

That would be really cool if it's true... I tried to find an article with that info since you didn't provide a URL to the story, and what I found indicates that it's an OLD lake, since dried up. If so, that's sad... that area COULD use an underground lake the size of Lake Erie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18059416/

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ending the article:

Though the lake has since dried up, its water likely percolated into the surrounding sand and is now part of the groundwater. Maps of the ancient lake could help with groundwater exploration efforts in the Darfur region, where access to fresh water is both scarce and essential for refugee survival.

“The likelihood of groundwater to exist in huge amounts is almost certain, so why not explore it for groundwater to help these refugees and the people who live in Darfur?” El-Baz told LiveScience.

So no huge underground lake, but a possible site for groundwater.

• heathen
    heathen

Gee now if nations would only help them get water and food instead of weapons they might be alright.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

WOW!! That would be awesome!!

L.L.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit