What's the JW take on downloading Pirated Movies still in theaters?

by NotaNess 2 Replies latest jw friends

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Have seen them on more than one occasion & even purchasing black market videos, that were made from someone videoing the movie on a hand held in the theaters, then burning to DVDs and selling. (not saying the JWs did the recording, but bought the dvds from door to door solicitors)

Any info or opinions on that? What would the elders say or instruct. Obviously, there is no excuse that can be made like "I didn't know it was illegal", with this issue.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They consider it stealing. I knew a lot of JW's that downloaded movies from the internet.

GBL

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I know that the Tower of Babel's take is going to keep vacillating. My take is similar to downloading music that is still readily available via legal sources: If the movie is still in theaters, you are stealing and stopping the producers and actors from getting paid for all the hard work they did to get the movie ready. Usually, such movies are of inferior quality, and I would not even think of uploading more than a teaser to entice people to see it (or steer those who might find it objectionable away).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit