after the lemon and limes question...

by bluebell 7 Replies latest jw friends

• bluebell
    bluebell

it reminded me of my question about olives and grapes.

my hubby says that green olives and black olives are the same, they start off green and get riper through to a reddy colour and then go black. He says its the same for grapes. Is he pulling my leg?

I understand the green to black olives kinda cos as far as I'm aware there is only one type of olive tree but grapes??!! surely not, otherwise it would mean that you could get white wine and red wine off the same vine?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh for petes sake......google is your friend:

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/filelibrary/2161/17346.pdf

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

reminds me of a woman I once knew who moved to California and wanted to see raisin trees!. Green olives turn black when exposed to air during processing. However, grapes come in different varieties, green, red, and purple/blue. What you get as time passes is not a different kind of grape, but a raisin.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Peppers change to various colours as they ripen......A grape can become a raisin when dehydrated..But..Not a hockey puck or a Russian Tenor..As everybody knows:"NotesTheres two scoops of raisins,in every package of Kellogg`s Raisin Bran!Notes"..LOL!...OUTLAW

• bluebell
    bluebell

see I KNEW he was lying! but he still refuses to admit it! lol

• bluebell
    bluebell

see this is why he says they are really the same

White grapes are evolutionarily derived from the red grape. Mutations in two regulatory genes turn off production of anthocyanin, which is responsible for the color of the red grape

but a mutation means a different species so i reckon i'm still right and he is wrong even if he refuses to admit it

• Open mind
    Open mind

bluebell:

otherwise it would mean that you could get white wine and red wine off the same vine?

Yep, you sure can. Classic example is Blanc de Noirs Champagne. It's a white sparkling wine that comes from Pinot Noir (red) grapes. The red color in wine comes from extended contact with the skins. The juice starts out clear. If you get the juice away from the skins right away, it's a white wine. Leave it in a while, Rose. Longer, Red.

Open Mind
    (of the, wino, glass err, class) hic

• Open mind
    Open mind

Left out the Blanc de Noirs explanation. I'm not a French speaker, but I'm pretty sure it means:

White of/from Black

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit