I need help finding something from a JW publication please...

by Riverwatcher 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted here in such a long time! Most of you probably don't remember the details to my situation....in a nutshell, my son married into the JW cult, there is a grandchild involved and at the very least I want to always maintain a good relationship with my son, daughter in law, and grandchild. This was my main concern from the beginning. He's been married now for four years, and so far things have been going just fine in regard to our relationship, although a red flag was raised a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I should also mention that the "other Grandparents" (daughter-in-laws parents) are JW.

Anyway, without going into mind numbing details...grandaughter is just over three years old, and out of the blue the other day she looks at my husband and says "you don't know Jehovah". About six months prior to this, again, out of the blue, she picks up a copy of TV guide off our coffee table, hands it to my husband and says "talk about Jehovah!" Actually, the way he tells it, it was more of a command than a request...Anyway, a few days after the "you don't know Jehovah" comment, I ask her who told her that we didn't know Jehovah, and she tells me **** and ****, her other Grandparents. I was livid!!! Although, I remained calm, and explained that we did indeed know Jehovah, because after all, Jehovah is another name for God and we know God. I tried to keep it in terms that her young mind could understand, but I'm quite sure that anyone could clearly see the steam coming out of my ears!

Ok, so where in the heck do these other Grandparents get off? The kid is THREE years old! I find it impossible to believe that the subject of our religious beliefs would just "naturally" come up in conversation, which leads me to believe (and pardon me if this sounds paranoid), but it leads me to think that the other grandparents are just planting the seeds, trying to prepare her to distance herself from us.

I once remember once browsing through this book my grandaughter had, and I can't remember the name of it, but it was talking about having friendships with other people, but if they weren't JW, you didn't want to get "too close". If I remember correctly, this was a book aimed at kids...sort of struck me as "handbook" of how to be a JW.

Please...please, please.....if anyone can tell me where I might have read this, it would be very much appreciated! I know this seems like an odd request, but there is a method to my madness, I assure you.

Thanks so very much!

• zeroday
    zeroday

young people ask***chap.8pp.65-67HowCanIMakeRealFriends?***

Counterfeit

VersusRealFriends

"My life is proof that not all ‘friends’ bring out your best," states 23-year-old Peggy. As a teenager, Peggy had been forced to leave home. She was befriended, however, by two of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Bill and his wife, Lloy. They began a study of the Bible with Peggy. "The months I spent with them were filled with real joy, contentment and peace," said Peggy. Yet, she opted to be with some youths she had met—and left Bill and Lloy.

Peggy further recounts: "I learned many things from my new ‘friends’—stealing stereos, cashing bad checks, smoking marijuana and, finally, how to support a $200-a-day drug habit." At age 18 she met a young man named Ray who offered her all the drugs she could use—free. "I thought all my troubles were over. Never again would I have to steal and cheat," thought Peggy. Ray, however, introduced her to prostitution. Eventually Peggy fled the city and her fast-lane "friends."

At her new location, one day Peggy was visited by two of Jehovah’s Witnesses. "Tears of joy flooded my eyes as I embraced the two startled women," related Peggy. "I had grown to despise the hypocrisy of my former ‘friends,’ but here were people who were for real." Peggy resumed her study of the Bible.

Conforming her life to God’s ways, though, was not easy. Particularly difficult was giving up smoking. However, a Witness friend advised: "Instead of praying and asking for forgiveness after you fail, why not pray beforehand and ask for strength when you feel the urge to smoke?" Says Peggy: "This kind and practical suggestion did it. . . . For the first time in years, I felt clean inside and knew what it meant to have self-respect."

Peggy’s experience highlights the truthfulness of the Bible’s words at Proverbs 13:20: "He that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly." Says Peggy: "If I had just kept my friendship with those persons who loved God, I would have avoided all those things that are now an ugly memory."

Don't know if this is what you are asking for but give it a try...
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi and Welcome Back!

Oooo I'd be steaming too. That sort of crap makes me mad.

They certainly are planting seeds to help her keep a distance from 'worldly' family. You can count on it.

There are a couple of books aimed at children. One is Yellow: My Book of Bible Stories (geared for children under 10). The other is: Your Youth. Getting the Best Out of It (geared for teens and pre-teens).

I don't remember the chapters but probably one of these books.

I'm certain that other posters have more insight and suggestions for you but I wanted to say hello. I hope you stick around. I think you find much support here to help you make decisions on how to approach your son, grand-daughter and her extended JW family. Posing a question or concern will bring you much insight into the JW mindset and you almost role-play a little here.

Again, welcome back!

-Denise.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Oh Yeah. Young People Ask.

See? Others have better info than I do on this subject

I'm a little out of date.

-Denise.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I am sorry for your situation.....unfortunatley, this is a VERY common discussion for the JW's...even amoung children. They constantly are told they are the only ones who have Jehovah's special approval, and how sad it is that some people just don't want to listen.

My daughter (now 9 and being raised as JW) when she was 3 said to me after I left the cult..."Mommy, you don't love Jehovah do you?" I said..."I still love Jehovah God...and he still loves me, it is just hard for you to understand cause your little." and she said.."Well it's hard to get moms to understand"..LOL....It is kind of funny if not so messed up.

The conversations they have is something like this....."Ok kids, we have to go to our bible studies house to study with them." Kid asks..."Does so and so love Jehovah?" Reply..."We are trying to teach them to".......

Another situation....someone in a store says "Merry Christmas" to them...child then asks parents.."Why do they say that? Don't they love Jehovah?"

It boils down to them asking questions on what they observe when they are around anyone not in their cult. If you have a x-mas tree, if you have a flag, if you don't go to the meetings, if you say "bless you" when they sneeze.....there are too many things to recall that will make you obviously not like them....which will make your grandchild ask "Does grandma and grandpa love Jehovah?" She is likely told..."No they don't listen to Jehovah, but, mabe you can help them....set a very good example" (They start useing the guilt tool at a young age too.)

It is a very sad thing...and I would just try to learn the things she is being taught by asking things here on how to conteract the things that come up. Just never sway in what you believe and never act like there is a chance she can convert you or make her think you agree with the cult in any way.

The book you saw was likely "My Book of Bible Stories"

Hope that helped some, and let me know if you have anything you would like to ask me...I have been doing as good as possible with trying to get my daughter to think for herself, though I have a LONG way to go.

Lyn

• zeroday
    zeroday

youth***chap.8p.65WhatKindofFriendsDoYouWant?***

THE

MOSTIMPORTANTFRIENDS

Above all, you should think seriously as to how association with persons of questionable habits may affect your relationship with God and his Son. At James 4:4 this truth is stated: ‘Whoever wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God.’ That principle can apply to our relationship with any one person in the world just the same as to our relationship with the world as a whole. If we approve improper ways in someone or prefer that one’s companionship to that of young persons who really want to please God, then do we not show ourselves to be ‘friends of the world’?

• Atlantis
  • Hortensia
    Hortensia

indoctrination starts in infancy. It's like the Rogers and Hammerstein song:
    You've got to be taught before it's too late
    Before you are six, or seven or eight
    To hate all the people your relatives hate
    You've got to be carefully taught.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit