Help, Changes in criterion regarding membership

by pseudoxristos 6 Replies latest jw friends

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Has anyone found out what changes have been made in the criteria regarding membership as a "DPI/NGO" since 1991. I brought up the UN issue in a JW chat group. They apparently got the disassociation letter a couple days after it came out. The following is the latest attempt to justify the issue. Any help will be appreciated.

****begin quote****
    here is a copy of the text from the resignation from the NGO.
    since they have 'changed' their criterion regarding membership,
    we can no longer share in their dissemination of information.
    ****end quote****

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

according to the letter released by UN Paul Hoeffel, the Watchtower sough UN affiliation in 1990 and was granted such in 1991.

According to a 1992 UN press release that Hawkaw found, "the NGO's officially recognized by DPI cooperate with the United Nations to help build understanding and support for United Nations programmes and goals." They must "also support the Charter of the United Nations".

What a far cry from forbidding (and thereby sentencing to certain death) malawian brothers from carrying a 25 cent party card.

It still makes me cry sometimes.

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

My recollection is that Paul's fax said that the WTS applied in 1991, and was approved in 1992.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

pseudoxristos,

From the beginning, the purpose was for NGOs associated with UN-DPI to "support the work of the United Nations."

From http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm:

The importance of working with and through NGOs as an integral part of United Nations information activities was recognized when the Department of Public Information was first established in 1946. The General Assembly, in its resolution 13 (I), instructed DPI and its branch offices to:

"...actively assist and encourage national information services, educational institutions and other governmental and non-governmental organizations of all kinds interested in spreading information about the United Nations. For this and other purposes, it should operate a fully equipped reference service, brief or supply lecturers, and make available its publications, documentary films, film strips, posters and other exhibits for use by these agencies and organizations."

In 1968, the Economic and Social Council, by Resolution 1297 (XLIV) of 27 May, called on DPI to associate NGOs, bearing in mind the letter and spirit of its Resolution 1296 (XLIV) of 23 May 1968, which stated that an NGO "...shall undertake to support the work of the United Nations and to promote knowledge of its principles and activities, in accordance with its own aims and purposes and the nature and scope of its competence and activities".

Notice the third paragraph:

In 1968, the Economic and Social Council, by Resolution 1297 (XLIV) of 27 May, called on DPI to associate NGOs, bearing in mind the letter and spirit of its Resolution 1296 (XLIV) of 23 May 1968, which stated that an NGO "...shall undertake to support the work of the United Nations and to promote knowledge of its principles and activities, in accordance with its own aims and purposes and the nature and scope of its competence and activities".

TS,

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

Rules have been essentially the same since 1968;Not only that, NGOs have to submit examples of their literature that shows they are playing their part;

On the NGO page it states:

"In addition, they [NGOs] are expected to keep the DPI/NGO Section abreast of their activities by regularly providing samples of their information materials relating to the work of the UN. These are also made available for perusal at the DPI/NGO Resource Centre."

Thus, the WTS has to have supplied literature in support of its continued status.

These links are of interest too;

General link to the rules: http://www.igc.apc.org/habitat/ngo-rev/

See para 40(b) for the rules on reports. Note that resolution 1297 extends the rules for those in consultative status with ECOSOC to those NGOs in association with DPI: http://www.igc.apc.org/habitat/ngo-rev/1296.html

- http://www.un.org/partners/civil_society/ngo/ngos-dpi.htm

- http://www.un.org/partners/civil_society/docs/ngo1297.htm#association

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

More from the UN-DPI press releases of 1992:

"The NGOs officially recognized by DPI cooperate with the United Nations to help build public understanding and support for United Nations programmes and goals."

"to be granted association with DPI, NGOs must...support the Charter of the United Nations...and possess the resources necessary for effective outreach."

TS,

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Thanks everyone for the info.

It will be very helpful. I will see if I can pin them down, to come up with some specifics regarding the alleged changes. I will post anything interesting. Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit