Witnesses and Wedding Parties

by karnage 6 Replies latest jw friends

• karnage
    karnage

I am a chef at a country club in my area. This is the season for a lot of weddings and I was told by some other employees about some past JW weddings that was held at our establishment. I have heard stories about witnesses placing their trash on the floor and then leaving, leaving instructions for our staff to not smell the wedding cake, ring the glass for attention, and no raising glasses in proposing a toast. Now, this has me baffled... why is it wrong to toast the happy newly weds in a fond well wishing?! I mean, shouldn't we all be happy for them and hope that their marriage is long lasting and loving? Why would it be wrong to make a toast in their favor?

From some of the things that witnesses request for their wedding ceremonies or receptions... it's so weird that you can really see how cult like they really are.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Watchtowerism instills phobias into it's members toward many trivial activities - this one being one of them.

The very short answer is that the toasting of glasses has origins in "pagan" non-Christian religious practices. I believe that it originated in the attempts to purge evil spirits from a celebration and to bring good luck upon a guest or person of honor.

Jehovah's Witnesses are extremely conscientious about avoiding any actitivities which have any "false religious" origins. This obsession over trivial matters had led to some absurd prohibitions: not using pinatas, not saying "bless you", not saying "good luck", not throwing rice at weddings, and not even doing the "YMCA" dance as popularized by the Village People. I guess this is an important prohibition, because we all know that anyone who has done the YMCA dance has immediately turned into a homosexual or a lesbian.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    The very short answer is that the toasting of glasses has origins in "pagan" non-Christian religious practices

So does the wedding cake, wedding rings, the white wedding dress ..... etc. They see no problem with having those however.

• Kudra
    Kudra

...and bridesmaids-

You line up 4 or 5 bridesmaids and they are supposed to fool the demons that lurk around weddings to steal away the bride.

The large number of bridesmaids, all dressed like the bride, confuses the unlucky demunz.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

what's up with not smelling the cake?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Q. Why do they have so much food at Witness weddings?

A. To keep the flies off the bride.

Pope

• Mum
    Mum

Oh, my! Arthur! I suppose I'm a Lesbian now because I did the YMCA dance at a friend's wedding reception a few years ago. I was already a cross dresser, so I'm just going to accept it and move on with my life. It might make an otherwise dull wallflower into a gossiped-about, scandalous deviate if I were not so old!

Here's to my new identity which will not make any difference to anyone,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit