The Colour Green / Am I just a cynic: Re Earth Day.

by Guest with Questions 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

First, I want to state that I am not against protecting our planet and I think we all should do what we can to conserve and be more environmentally conscientious.

I don’t have facts but this whole Earth Day Concert doesn’t seem to sit right with me. Is the Green Earth about the Environment or is it about green money, are some environmentalists really green bigots or am I green with envy?

I’m sure there are many who are sincere but have they thought out what this event contributed to the pollution of the earth? Or does it just take a few tree plantings to compensate (carbon-neutral efforts?) for transporting all these acts to the events? Or did they fly hybrid planes?

I do believe that Al Gore is a hypocrite. He tells us to do one thing yet he does otherwise. Have you seen the writeups about his homes or are these false or unfair accusations.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/government/a/al_gore_energy.htm

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

Does this sound familiar? A chosen few tell the masses what to do?

You look at Al Gore, at Madonna, at Sting (with his 7 homes) etc. They are telling us to cut back, conserve. Yet they live in these mansions, they fly all around the world, drive expensive cars, live excessive lives and yet they tell us to conserve. Apparently Barbra Streisand is telling us to air-dry our clothes, eat local produce. That is great, but is she doing it.

When I was young I probably would have thought this was a great thing and jump on the bandwagon. Am I just getting more cynical as I get older?

That reminds me: When Black-Eyed Peas were playing in London (yes I did sometimes watch it) I saw a sign on stage that read Good News. How much did it cost the Watchtower to pay for this ad? Just kidding!

• Cellist
    Cellist

You're not a cynic, you've just learned to see through the hype and hypocrisy. It's an advertising gimmick. The only thing these sorts of events do is entertain.

Cellist

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Guest with Questions, you just officially moved up to "Guest with Answers"

• 38 Years
    38 Years

That reminds me: When Black-Eyed Peas were playing in London (yes I did sometimes watch it) I saw a sign on stage that read Good News. How much did it cost the Watchtower to pay for this ad? Just kidding!

I saw that sign too! It made me laugh. I watched the show for the music, but a few tips on how to save energy and save some $$ is always good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit