Exercise and meditation. (An unknowing JW compromise?)

by Open mind 4 Replies latest social physical

• Open mind
    Open mind

As I was participating in some very strenuous aerobic exercise recently, it occurred to me that some of what I experience during exercise has some similarities to what I've been experiencing during meditation. The similarity is being very aware of my body during exercise. The difference is that in the meditation I've been trying, after becoming aware of my body, I then move away from awareness of my body. It's kind of like trying to watch a "floater" in your eyeball. As soon as you look at it, it's gone.

On a related note, I read somewhere that one of attractions of "extreme sports" is that they force the participant to live completely "in the moment" since their very life hangs in the balance if they don't.

I know of several JWs who are "religious" in their exercise regimen. They are adamant in making sure it is part of their regular routine. Do you think that these folks are at least reaping some benefits of quasi-meditation without even realizing it? Or is it just the endorphin release and that's it?

Open Mind

• carla
    carla

I was quite surprised at Margaret Thayers Singer book Cult in our Midts where she talks about the meditative cults and the extreme dysfunction of practioners when they stop. Not that short meditative sessions cannot be helpful but they are not for everybody. Caution should be taken if going to any person or group to 'learn' how to meditate. I think you are speaking more of a 'runners high'? The experience sounds similar to a friend who has experienced that while running. However the friend relates that it is very rare and they are an avid runner always trying to get the experience back. Keeps them in shape anyway!

• Open mind
    Open mind
    Caution should be taken if going to any person or group to 'learn' how to meditate.

I agree. Been going solo so far. After the JWs I'm not real keen on joining any group.

As for the "runner's high", it's well documented that the release of endorphins that comes with aerobic exercise stimulates pleasure centers in the brain.

But my recent perception as I exercise is that I am very much dwelling in the moment and very aware of my body. I think it's more than just endorphins at work. My awareness is more acute since I've started meditation.

Hmmmmmmmmm......Must be those damn demons!.............Back to the K Hall for me!!!!

Open Mind

• uptimistik
    uptimistik

Physical exercise, specifically strength training opens the mind...so too does marijuana. In the blink of an eye, it just all made sense! Recently awoken here! Still in the panic stage of wanting to get my parents out.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Sooo right powerlifting saved my life!

I also meditate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit