Inadvertent benefits of leaving the WTBTS

by Grouper 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Grouper
    Grouper

The thread would you ever return to the truth started by my friend the Package,

Nvrgnbk said:

Music can save your "soul" as well. And the physical excercise will keep you healthy and fight depression. You look skinny in you avatar, LOL!, but many find they lose a few pounds and gain energy and a new joy for living upon leaving the cult.

That is soo true in my case. I stopped going to meetings 10/2004 and some of the inadvertent benefits I have enjoyed are:

Lost 30lbs

Did the LA marathon this year and now usually jog 3 miles a day.

Read more books

Have heavily gotten back into music primarily indie/alternative rock

Weight train

Mountain bike every other weekend

Don't drink alcohol as much

AND have a positive outlook on life and see that in general people are good

One more benefit going back to school this fall to get a master's in business management or organizational leadership.

What about you, what inadvertent benefits have you enjoyed because of leaving the truth

• thepackage
    thepackage

I lost 170 pounds!!! (my ex-wife)!!!!!!! Thanks for the shout out Grouper!!!! You mentioned you drink less beer now, what are down too, 18 a day!!!!!!!

• steve2
    steve2

The biggest benefit was I began to take responsibility for my life rather than desperately seeking help/advice/admonition/counselling from others.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The biggest benefit was I began to take responsibility for my life

So true steve2.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

There is a feeling of freedom. It took several years but for the most part I have unlearned most of the not-so-healthy mental thought processes they tried to drill into you. I am also not as judgmental towards other people. I am ashamed to say I didn't realize just how much judgmentalism can be in a person after being in the religion.

LHG

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Relaxing Sunday mornings!

Priceless!

• Gregor
    Gregor

As a "born-in" JWI would illustrate the effects of leaving the WT at 36 as similar to having your house burn down and everything you own is destroyed, including several close relatives. You start with an (almost) clean slate. What happens after that is pretty much up to you. After a few years looking at the KoolAid man waving goodbye in the rearview mirror you take stock and, in my case, decide that the best thing you ever did was torch the old digs. Still doesn't mean life is perfect, but at least your looking at it with your eyes open.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

I have more friends than ever! They have watched my transformation and say I'm more fun to be around.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i have almost completly stopped drinking since leaving. when i was in, i was drinking alot. now, if i drink more than 1 beer a month, i'm drinking alot.

• Mum
    Mum

Self acceptance, improving where I can, being patient with myself when it doesn't come easily

Having fun-loving friends

Reading good books

Discovering my interests

Getting an education

Being able to help family in appropriate ways, not recommending more service, study, and meeting attendance

Learning to accept help from others with no strings attached

More money

Apostafests from time to time

and many more,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit