Wolves in Sheep's Clothing = False Prophets

by LiveLife 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LiveLife
    LiveLife
    Matthew 7:15-20
    “Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to YOU in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits YOU will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? Likewise every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit; a good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, neither can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. Every tree not producing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire. Really, then, by their fruits YOU will recognize those [men].

From the first sentence it is undeniable that this paragraph refers to false prophets who pretend to be something other than false prophets. In the second sentence, the phrase "recognize them" refers to the only group mentioned thus far: false prophets. Likewise, the final sentence says you will "recognize those [men]" in reference to false prophets.

Jesus wasn't talking about bad people versus good people, wicked versus righteous, or any dichotomy of humanity other than true prophets and false prophets. And he sets it in what is called a Boolean logic structure; better known as "either ... or".

What fruit is borne by false prophets? Well, the Governing Body has an answer that has to do with all sorts of things except prophecy. An odd take, indeed, since it is perfectly clear that prophecy and, more specifically, the veracity of prophecy (false/true) was the entire point of Jesus' cautioning words. Here is what the Governing Body says about these verses:

***w016/1pp.13-15pars.6-14"IfGodIsforUs,WhoWillBeAgainstUs?"*** 6 Jesus laid down the rule for distinguishing true worship from false when he said: "Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. Bytheirfruitsyouwillrecognizethem." (Matthew 7:15, 16; Malachi 3:18) Let us review some of the "fruits," or identifying marks, of true religion so that we in all honesty can determine who today has divine backing.

IdentifyingMarksofThoseHavingGod’sBacking 7 TheybasetheirteachingsontheBible. Jesus said: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality." And also: "He that is from God listens to the sayings of God." (John 7:16, 17; 8:47) Logically, to enjoy God’s backing, one must teach only what God reveals in his Word and reject teachings based on human wisdom or tradition.—Isaiah 29:13; Matthew 15:3-9; Colossians 2:8.

8 TheyuseandpublicizeGod’sname,Jehovah. Isaiah foretold: "In that day you will certainly say: ‘Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high. Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth.’" (Isaiah 12:4, 5) Jesus taught his followers to pray: "Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) Therefore, whether Jew or non-Jew, Christians were to serve as "a people for [God’s] name." (Acts 15:14) God is obviously pleased to back those who are proud to be "a people for his name."

9 TheyreflectGod’sjoyfulpersonality. As author of "good news," Jehovah is "the happy God." (1 Timothy 1:11) So how could his worshipers be unhappy or persistently pessimistic? Despite world distress and personal problems, true Christians maintain a joyful spirit because they regularly feast on rich spiritual food. Isaiah contrasts them with those practicing false religion: "This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said: ‘Look! My own servants will eat, but you yourselves will go hungry. Look! My own servants will drink, but you yourselves will go thirsty. Look! My own servants will rejoice, but you yourselves will suffer shame. Look! My own servants will cry out joyfully because of the good condition of the heart, but you yourselves will make outcries because of the pain of heart and you will howl because of sheer breakdown of spirit.’"—Isaiah 65:13, 14.

10 TheybasetheirconductandtheirdecisionsonBibleprinciples. "Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding," the writer of Proverbs advises us, "in all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5, 6) God backs those who look to him for direction rather than to the contradictory theories of humans who ignore godly wisdom. To the extent that a person is willing to pattern his life after God’s Word, he will avoid having to learn by trial and error.—Psalm 119:33; 1 Corinthians 1:19-21.

11 Theyareorganizedinthemannerofthefirst-centuryChristiancongregation. Jesus set out the principle: "Do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your teacher, whereas all you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for your Leader is one, the Christ. But the greatest one among you must be your minister." (Matthew 23:8-11) A congregation of brothers precludes having a proud clergy class that honors itself with high-sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity. (Job 32:21, 22) Those shepherding the flock of God are told to do so "not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:2, 3) Genuine Christian shepherds refrain from trying to make themselves masters over the faith of others. As fellow workers in God’s service, they simply strive to set a fine example.—2 Corinthians 1:24.

12 Theyaresubmissivetohumangovernmentsandyetremainneutral. He who fails to be "in subjection to the superior authorities" cannot expect to have God’s backing. Why? Because "the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God." (Romans 13:1, 2) However, Jesus recognized the possibility of a conflict of interests when he said: "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God." (Mark 12:17) Those desiring to have God’s backing must "keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness," while at the same time obeying the laws of the land that are compatible with their higher responsibilities to God. (Matthew 6:33; Acts 5:29) Jesus stressed neutrality when he said of his disciples: "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world." He later added: "My kingdom is no part of this world."—John 17:16; 18:36.

13 Theyareimpartialinworking"whatisgoodtowardall." (Galatians 6:10) Christian love knows no partiality, accepting all people regardless of their skin color, economic or educational status, nationality, or language. The working of what is good toward all and especially toward those related to them in the faith helps to identify those having God’s backing. Jesus said: "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."—John 13:35; Acts 10:34, 35.

14 TheyarewillingtosufferpersecutionfordoingGod’swill. Jesus forewarned his followers: "If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also; if they have observed my word, they will observe yours also." (John 15:20; Matthew 5:11, 12; 2 Timothy 3:12) Those having God’s backing have always been unpopular, as was Noah, who condemned the world through his faith. (Hebrews 11:7) Today, those desiring God’s backing dare not water down God’s word or compromise godly principles so as to avoid persecution. As long as they faithfully serve God, they know that people will be "puzzled and go on speaking abusively" of them.—1 Peter 2:12; 3:16; 4:4.

Note: Completely absent from the list is "Accuracy of prophetic pronouncements." Why is this the case? Because they have a 100% failure rate in accurately prophesying. This becomes important when you realize that Jesus was speaking to Jews at Matthew 7:15 and they knew how to find a false prophet. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22)

However, let us briefly examine their list of proofs from their own perspective. In other words, indulge me in shedding light on them in exactly the same fashion they freely use on Christendom.

They base their teachings on the Bible. Then why do they teach fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters to cut off their relatives if said relative decides to ignore the Governing Body? Why do they require five meetings per week, regular share in the public ministry prior to baptism, meek and mindless acceptance of any and all policy changes, and the acceptance of all Governing Body rulings on which pagan customs should be avoided vs. those which can be enjoyed? NONE of these come from the Bible.

They use and publicize God’s name, Jehovah. God's name is not Jehovah. Their own publications have admitted this indisputable fact, on occasion. More to the point, YHWH is a word with prophetic meaning that was fulfilled completely (according to the Bible) in Jesus Christ. All things became through Jesus. HE caused to become.

They reflect God’s joyful personality. Okay ... is joy really the identifying mark of Jehovah's Witnesses? Is that what they are publicly known for? Who's kidding whom, here?

They base their conduct and their decisions on Bible principles. Which Bible principle suggests that you should reject association with anyone who disagrees with your religious beliefs? Until very recently (last week) I had not violated any of their supposedly "moral" stands on anything. I tried a cigarette. As in, I tried ONE cigarette. I am not a fan and I believe people must have to work hard to acquire that particular habit (however tough it may be to quit). Confessions aside, my only sin in the eyes of their religion is rejecting what the Governing Body says. Where in the Scriptures is that set as a gross wrong, punishable by excommunication? The Apostle Paul didn't agree with what the elders in Jerusalem thought, and made no secret of his disagreement. He was not disfellowshipped.

They are organized in the manner of the first-century Christian congregation. Complete and utter bollocks. There was no centralized supreme authority over all congregations in the First Century. There was no territory divided up for congregations that congregations had to respect the boundaries of. There was no limit on where or to whom a Christian could speak, even in synagogues and temples of other religions. There was no limit on how many beliefs a Christian could learn from other cultures. There was no fixed place of meeting maintained by group contributions, the Christians met in small groups in the homes of regular people for fellowship. There was no rigid structure to the schedule of meetings determined by Jerusalem and distributed throughout the Christian world. There was no such thing as a Judicial Committee, or a book/school exclusively for elders, or exclusively for pioneers. There were no huge conventions or charges for parking at them.

They are submissive to human governments and yet remain neutral. Entirely subjective and thoroughly debatable. So I will leave it alone, as a possible reality. In my opinion, this one is also not true.

They are impartial in working "what is good toward all." Complete bollocks. Their version of "love" is filled with partiality. Partiality is taught in thousands of ways. They are partial toward regular meeting attenders. They are partial to Circuit and District overseers, visiting speakers, Bethelites, Missionaries, Governing Body members, Service Desk representatives. They are partial to elders, they are partial to pioneers, they are partial to those who comment well and often. They are partial against those who are irregular at meetings, against those who are irregular in ministry, against those who are male and older without any titular position in the congregation, against those who marry outside the congregation, against those who struggle as best they can to overcome the consequences of poor choices in their youth. They are eaten up with partiality, it is a veritable Caste system within the organization.

They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God’s will. Jesus did not ever say his followers would be persecuted for doing God's will. In the verse they partially quoted, Jesus put himself as master and his disciples as slave. (John 15:20) In Matthew 5, they cite one of the Beatitudes as proof of their point, but it says persecution leading to happiness would be for the sake of Jesus, not for the sake of Jehovah. No Jehovah's Witness has ever been persecuted for the sake of Jesus, for the sake of Jesus' name, or because Jesus is their master. So, their assertion is complete bollocks.

But, on the blade of true versus false prophecy it is easy to prove what the Governing Body are. By extension, all who parrot their crap make the same of themselves.

alt

Live Life

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Most cults tend to build out their concepts of what makes them better as a religion, then use such things as 'proof' that they are superior to all others. While many may think this is found in all religions, cults take it a step further. Cults will then deny the freedom of choice to their members, thus keeping the 'status quo'. No member in these groups is ever allowed to choose for himself if one of these 'high moral issues' that make the group better is something they personally want to support or not.

A great example of this is argument 'Jehovah's Witnesses don't go to war'. This statement is very misleading because if somebody is to go to war they are automatically 'disassociated' by the Watchtower. Thus any JWs 'going to war' (and I know of at least 2 from personal contacts) are simply relabeled as not JWs. If the Watchtower did not disassociate those who join the military they would then have the problem that JWs have indeed gone to war thus making their claim to a moral high ground invalid.

In line with what LiveLife posted, many of these groups use the scripture in matthew 7 as proof that they alone have the 'fruits' or good works that only true christians have. The focus isn't on good fruits in this passage, but instead on bad ones and how to be careful of false teachers.

• Inkie
    Inkie

LiveLife:

In addition, Jesus says in another place (Matthew 24:24) the following:

"Then if anyone says to you, 'Look! Here is the Christ,' or, 'There!' do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. Look! I have forwarned you. Therefore, if people say to you, 'Look! he is in the wilderness,' do not go out; 'Look!' He is in the inner chambers,' do not believe it."

Now read it again with a bit more discernment.

"Then if anyone [claiming authority to speak and teach you because they supposedly know more than you do] says to you, 'Look! Here is the Christ,' [the Anointed One(s)] or, 'There!' do not believe it. For false Christs [false anointed ones] and false prophets will arise [even from among yourselves] and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible [but it's not really possible because the chosen ones will eventually realize the deception], even the chosen ones. Look! I have forwarned you. Therefore, if people say to you, 'Look! he is in the wilderness [close, but you can't see him],' do not go out; 'Look!' He is in the inner chambers [again 'his presence,' but you can't see him],' do not believe it."

--Inkie

• LiveLife
    LiveLife

Good point, Drew.

You too, Inkie.

• LiveLife
    LiveLife
    Acts 15:12-29
    At that the entire multitude became silent, and they began to listen to Barnabas and Paul relate the many signs and portents that God did through them among the nations. After they quit speaking, James answered, saying: “Men, brothers, hear me. Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. And with this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written, ‘After these things I shall return and rebuild the booth of David that is fallen down; and I shall rebuild its ruins and erect it again, in order that those who remain of the men may earnestly seek [the Lord], together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says [the Lord], who is doing these things, known from of old.’ Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. For from ancient times Moses has had in city after city those who preach him, because he is read aloud in the synagogues on every sabbath.”

Then the apostles and the older men together with the whole congregation favored sending chosen men from among them to Antioch along with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was called Barsabbas and Silas, leading men among the brothers; and by their hand they wrote:

“The apostles and the older men, brothers, to those brothers in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the nations: Greetings! Since we have heard that some from among us have caused YOU trouble with speeches, trying to subvert YOUR souls, although we did not give them any instructions, we have come to a unanimous accord and have favored choosing men to send to YOU together with our loved ones, Barnabas and Paul, men that have delivered up their souls for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We are therefore dispatching Judas and Silas, that they also may report the same things by word. For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to YOU, except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!”

If you change the spurious insertion of the name "Jehovah" back to the properly translated "the Lord" (from Greek into English, the proper translation is, without question, "the Lord"), the context favors understanding Jesus as the name for whom a people is taken from all nations. Barnabas and Paul did not deliver up their souls for the name of Jehovah. Verse 11, preceding these verses, refers to Jesus as "the Lord Jesus". These verses refer to "the Lord" consistently, and to "his name", then verse 26 specifies which name is being referred to, yet Jehovah's Witnesses spuriously change the meaning of the text in this case.

But we are supposed to believe these presumptuous men act under the guidance of God? These men, who, without any translational authority, changed the meaning of the Scriptures to one more suitable to their invented doctrine? Why would we?

Live Life

• Inkie
    Inkie

Talk about the 'false stylus of the scribe.' (Jeremiah 8:8) The Society is ruled by men who have 'seated themselves [arrogated to themselves] in the seat of Moses'--Scribes & Pharisees! Scribes = the makers of many books; Pharisees = the makers of man-made rules and laws. (Matthew 23) Obviously, if the Master has not come yet, arrived, or is present, then he couldn't have appointed a 'faithful and discreet slave' yet. And Matthew 24 states that Jesus comes, arrives, and is present AFTER THE TRIBULATION which is a yet future event. Thus, not having come yet--he hasn't appointed anybody yet!

--Inkie

• bethlehem
    bethlehem

VERY impressive thread,

thanx for all the info,

I just wanted to add:

1- The ONLY possitive thing about them is making me look deeper into Christianity and read the bible and study all aspects and interpretations from different sources,which also applies to others.

2- The fruits: its the first thing they try to show,which is fake,as if grapes or figs are glued ( with Super Glue) to a dead tree, the good tree bears fruit with no effort if it is planted on good soil and well irrigated,God makes it grow and bare fruits.

• LiveLife
    LiveLife

Inkie,

To me, that is not the only fatal flaw in their interpretation of Matthew 24. They claim that the Faithful and Discreet Slave have been known to and used by God since Penetcost 33 CE. But they also say Jesus selected this group as his Faithful and Discreet Slave after searching out all of Christendom for the faithful. This understanding requires us to believe that God didn't tell Jesus who he had been using since 33 CE and that Jesus supposedly didn't even know who his own brothers were without searching.

This problem and the one you pointed up stand as valid whether you believe the Faithful and Discreet Slave to be individuals or whether you believe it to be a group.

Live Life

• LiveLife
    LiveLife

bethlehem,

They practice the fruitage of the spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. But the Bible shows that anyone truly having the spirit will experience the spirit bearing its fruit in them and through them. It is the spirit's fruit, not ours. That really is a basic misunderstanding about spirituality that the JWs carry.

Live Life

• Inkie
    Inkie

Live Life:

They claim that the Faithful and Discreet Slave have been known to and used by God since Penetcost 33 CE. But they also say Jesus selected this group as his Faithful and Discreet Slave after searching out all of Christendom for the faithful. This understanding requires us to believe that God didn't tell Jesus who he had been using since 33 CE and that Jesus supposedly didn't even know who his own brothers were without searching.

This problem and the one you pointed up stand as valid whether you believe the Faithful and Discreet Slave to be individuals or whether you believe it to be a group.

I'm not sure the first part of your citation is exactly correct. I think they teach that the "Governing Body" has been used by God since Pentecost of 33 CE. The Governing Body is a select group from among the Faithful & Discreet Slave though. Oh my God, this doesn't work either! The F&DS is all of the anointed. Wait! So initially there are anointed and then from among them there is a Governing Body; then allegedly, thousands of years later in the early 1900's Christ appoints all of the anointed as a F&DS, but then the Bible says the F&DS is appointed after he returns after the tribulation.

Talk about a convoluted mess!

--Inkie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit