Pentecostal evangelism in Africa

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 3 Replies latest social current

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

In most modern western civilizations, I tend to believe in the "live and let live" way of thinking; though I am atheist, I understand that some people have a need for religion in their lives. As long as that religion is not dangerous in any way (like JWs and WCG are, among many others), then fine, do as you will. Reading articles like this really gets me steamed up though:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070626/lf_nm/africa_pentecostals_dc

"America's preachers have long grasped the potential material rewards of their spiritual gifts.

Hinn has said he earns up to $1 million a year, lives in a $10 million seaside mansion and owns a private jet. Creflo Dollar, who visited Uganda this month, drives a Rolls Royce.

Africa's preachers are learning fast.

At Uganda's Holy Fire Ministry -- a marquee beside a dirt track near the airport -- hundreds line up for blessings from "Prophet" Pius Muwanguzi, whose purported talents include curing AIDS by touching the forehead.

In the kneeling congregation: a polio victim, a blind man and a girl who lost her phone.

The pastor touches an old woman, she faints. Then out come the collection envelopes. Minimum is 100,000 Uganda shillings ($62.5), although the poor can give as little as 10,000 to receive a blessing.

Muwanguzi, whose own blessings include a smart suit and a new Toyota Land Cruiser , declined an interview. But his secretary Jackie Kamanyire said payments were voluntary...."

I think I actually saw the event spoken of in the article, about a month ago I was channel surfing for something to watch on tv, and briefly paused on a telethon looking sort of event, with some white guy supposedly 'healing' a bunch of African people. The one I actually watched was a supposed deaf/mute, who was 'healed', then said "praise Jesus", at first slowly and tentatively, then louder. (In English of course, for the benefit of the cameras.) *pukes*

Being atheist, of course I'm more skeptical than the next person about such things, but please...I'm pretty sure even religious folks discount "miracles" of this nature happening on a regular basis, on command by men making millions of dollars. It's one thing to prey on those who can at least somewhat afford it, but to take it to a continent where people are literally starving and there's an AIDS epidemic? Utterly abominable. Makes me wonder what they pay or give to those who help pull off the "miracles".

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's how many religions operate just like our olf friends the JWs religion is the guise for a business, they make good money out of a commercial enterprise which they present as a spiritual enterprise. Given the naivity of the average person it's not a wonder why many of these religious leaders are very rich.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Being purely objective its as legit as any other business and should be investigated as such - blessing doesn't work get a refund methinks. People will pay good money for placebo medicine (homeopathy - qcmbr lights the touchpaper and runs like heck), counselling (expensive best friends - in MOST cases), self help courses that are more intrusive than religion itself, shopping therapy , gluttony and so on. People will seek solace, hope and guidance from external sources and will exchange money happily for it. Is there much psychological difference to paying money for the buzz of a rock concert as opposed to the buzz from gathering with lots of people expecting a miracle??

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Suppose the WTBTS has realized the potential of lots of $$$ from Africa in addition to building up their publisher numbers?

This is very surprising to me as I was under the impression the Africans are all so poor that the WTS was building a bunch of new KHs there for free (no loans to repay).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit