Is interpretation of dreams divination?

by dmouse 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dmouse
    dmouse

I've just watched the old 'Joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat' on DVD and I'm a bit confused.

Basically, what is the societies viewpoint, and more importantly, the scriptural viewpoint, on interpreting dreams - or using them to predict future events?

I'm sure the society would look down on anyone saying he had dreams that came true. Yet the bible is full of such instances. ie, this extract from the Insight book, under dreams:

'Some dreams from God gave his servants assurance of divine favor or helped them to understand how Jehovah was aiding them. When God was about to conclude a covenant with Abram (Abraham), a deep sleep and great darkness fell upon the patriarch, and Jehovah then apparently spoke to him in a dream. (Ge 15:12-16) At Luz (Bethel) God caused Jacob to have a dream in which he saw a ladder reaching from earth to heaven, thus denoting communication with heaven. Angels ascended and descended on it, a representation of Jehovah was stationed above it, and God pronounced a blessing on Jacob. (Ge 28:10-19; compare Joh 1:51.) It was also by means of a dream that God, years later, showed his approval of Jacob and gave him angelic instruction to return to his homeland.—Ge 31:11-13.'

BUT!

Surely, using dreams in this way is a form of divination?

Again, from the Insight book, under Divination:

'Divination embraces generally the whole scope of gaining secret knowledge, especially about future events, through the aid of spiritistic occult powers...Certain fields of divination have been given specific names. For example, augury, popular with the Romans, is a study of omens, portents, or chance phenomena; palmistry predicts the future from lines on the inside of the hand; hepatoscopy inspects the liver; haruspication inspects entrails; belomancy with arrows; rhabdomancy uses the divining rod; oneiromancy is divination by dreams; necromancy is a purported inquiring of the dead. Crystal gazing and oracular divination are still other forms.'

What baffles me is how can you tell if a dream is from God or is a false dream?

Also, it states quite clearly in the insight book that ALL forms of divination is wrong!! :

Nowhere in the Bible is any form of divination given a good connotation. Many times in the same condemnatory texts spiritistic practices of divination are spoken of together with adultery and fornication. (2Ki 9:22; Na 3:4; Mal 3:5; Ga 5:19, 20; Re 9:21; 21:8; 22:15) In God’s eyes divination is comparable to the sin of rebellion. (1Sa 15:23) It is, therefore, unscriptural to speak of Jehovah’s communication with his servants as a manifestation of "good" divination.

Is using dreams to tell the future divination or not? I'm confused!

• emptywords
    emptywords

Deut 18:11

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

Not absolutely sure about this, but I would say the difference between prophecy and divination is that God takes the initiative in communicating with the prophet. If you go around looking for signs to interpret or actively inviting communication with the spirit world, that's divination. If you're just minding your own business one day and God jumps out from behind an elderberry bush and gives you a message, then you're his prophet.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes that is the critical point dreams and visions can be initiated by God's Spirit or by demons and it is their source that determines what is prophecy and what is divination the first comes from God the second from the demons. God's prophets had between them countless visions and dreams of prophetic significance.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I still think it depends on whether you were actively seeking communication with them or not. If some ghoul just decided to appear to you one night, I don't think it means you're guilty of divination. Or maybe it does - some people say that these spirits need "legal permission" first before they can mess around with you. Like if you play with a Ouija board or something, you've just given them the invitation they need.

Not sure how you'd tell for sure if a spirit was good or evil. I guess you'd have to get the elders to find his record card to see if his hours are above average or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit