They just don't realize what they say sometimes...

by Metamorphosis 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

Talking to a friend of mine the other day. he's a 22 year old witness. he said something to me about not going out on Saturday mornings anymore and i responded i didn't know the Bible set a certain time and day i had to do my ministry. He responded - 'does everything have to be in the Bible? do you think the disciples asked jesus where something was in the Bible?' - i just looked at him and said '1) they didn't have a complete bible 2) who are you trying to compare to Jesus?'. he looked at me funny and said 'uh, no one'.

But his statement subtlely said that what the WBTS and/or the Kingdom Hall asks is on the same level as what Jesus would - and I really don't think he realized it. It just gets ingrained after a while I guess.

Morph - 'ministering where and when i please'

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Yep, they do it all the time.

I remember well a guy I was going door to door one time. In the course of our conversation I mentioned that 'Christ was the Way'. He was puzzled. A few moments later he said 'what did you mean that christ was the way?'.

This was asked by a guy going door to door selling his religion. Sheeesh!

I responded by making a simple case for the fact that if Christ was truth as he said he was, then he alone must be truth. The guy looked at me and said, "oh, i thought 'the way' was like Jesus and all the other stuff"

"All the other stuff" being what the WTS teaches......

• Gopher
    Gopher

He's just confused because you aren't in lockstep with the organization. The organization standard is that you approach people's houses between 9:30 and noon on Saturday morning with two recent organization-approved journals. Any other way, and the average JW will feel you aren't being supportive / cooperative with THEIR efforts to please the organization. It may be a bit intimidating for them to associate with a person who is marching to a different drummer.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Just talking too much about Jesus will get you a concerned look from a Witness. He has really been replaced in their minds by an organization. They say they want a personal relationship with Jehovah, but even that is funneled through the org.

They basically block the way to knowing much about true spirituality.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

See, if you were among people that you expected to be American English speakers, and someone flubbed an idiom, like saying 'raining dogs and cats' instead of cats and dogs, it would break your train of thought and make you wonder if they were who they said they were.

Well, the dubs have their 'pure language' and at the slightest sniff of disunity of thought, speech, or action, they wonder if you might have apostate cooties and if they got on THEM!

Yet, they will just blurt out the dimmest dub garbage and be oblivious to the reactions of those around them.

Roller

• greendawn
    greendawn

He asked does everything have to be in the Bible? In fact the Bible not only doesn't state when and how much time one has to preach but it also states that preaching is just one of several functions in the church and each function was to be undertaken by specific members that were gifted in it. Thus clearly not all early Christians preached (by mouth) though all the original apostles did. However all Christians preached through their virtuous conduct before the world.

Not that preaching the WT gospel is something desirable because it is full of deception and heresies or apostate thinking.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    i just looked at him and said '1) they didn't have a complete bible 2) who are you trying to compare to Jesus?'. he looked at me funny and said 'uh, no one'.

Love the answer!! Good one!

BB

• R.F.
    R.F.

He responded - 'does everything have to be in the Bible? do you think the disciples asked jesus where something was in the Bible?'

But his disciples certainly knew he was the one that was prophesied about centuries prior. So when Jesus speaks they better had shut up and take it all in lol!.

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

Not that preaching the WT gospel is something desirable because it is full of deception and heresies or apostate thinking.

Well - if you missed my original introduction thread my current ministry is composed of simply sharing versus from the Bible I find encouraging and uplifting. Pretty refreshing difference.

Morph - 'using the Bible in ministry, what a concept'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit