Relax...Isaac Newton said the end would come no earlier than 2060

by neverendingjourney 5 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I just ran across this article. The following words caught my attention: "In one manuscript from the early 1700s, Newton used the cryptic Book of Daniel to calculate the date for the apocalypse, reaching the conclusion that the world would end no earlier than 2060."

I'll say this: at least Isaac Newton's word is way, way more reliable than the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society's. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

• Threestars
    Threestars

Yeah Newton was pretty neat--although a religious fanatic. He also apparently died an eighty-something year old virgin. He thought the secret formula that would explain the universe (unified field theory) was hidden in the design of the Jewish temple and studied it obsessively.

I would tend to listen to him more though than those old doofuses in Brooklyn. F=MA

I just read the article you posted--at first I thought it was a pop-up ad! That's a great article. My old physics prof must have been one of the ones who had access to those papers 'cuz he told me this stuff about Newton years ago. I wonder if the WT will have any lame comments now.

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

I saw a special on Newton on the 'History Channel".they mentioned this...........interesting..........personally I dont think the world will end ever........if it does, well then shame on us...(mankind)

• Royal Rose
    Royal Rose

My husband thinks Newton might have stolen some of his main ideas, I should ask him more about it

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I trust Isaac Newton's science far more than the Craptower Society's. Newton is the one that explained the orbits of planets, and much of what we know about physics. And when he was wrong, it was simply because he did not have the technology to observe atoms and subatomic particles. He was never dishonest in the way the Watchtower Society is.

In fact, many of Newton's principles are still widely accepted today. We use gravity to calculate the orbits of the planets, and can predict eclipses decades in advance and land rockets on planets using gravity assists. We have and use inertia: gyroscopes operate on Newtonian principles. Heavy platters on turntables, counterweights, and many of the machines and parts on things we take for granted today come from Newtonian science and still work. I cannot say that about the Craptower Society, however.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Anybody remember the Sci-fi about a guy who takes a calculator back in time, to help Isaac in his calculations.

The first answer he gets is 666 - whereupon he throws the demonic device into a stream, and promises the Lord Jehovah he will devote more of his time to holy scripture?

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit