Mr. Peanut the Almighty?

by BizzyBee 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I've long thought that the 'Jehovah' of the WTS bears little resemblance to the Jehovah of the OT. In fact, I used to get 'Jehovah' mixed up with Bro. Knorr.

The Jehovah of the OT seemed to be unpredictable, inconsistent, insecure, short-tempered, conflicted, etc. On the other hand, the 'Jehovah" of the WTS seems, at times to be all of those things, and yet very clear about the smallest detail of people’s attire, the music they listen to, how they spend their leisure time, what they do for a living, what kind of car they drive, how they spend their vacations, etc.

The 'Jehovah' of the WTS seems to be a made-up Almighty. It's like JWs are worshipping a god of the collective imagination of the GB and the writing department. Is it possible that people would devote their lives, shun their families, humiliate themselves, and surrender their intellect - for a figment of some corporate ad agency’s imagination - similar to the Keebler Elves, Mr. Peanut, Tony the Tiger, Snap, Crackle and Pop, and the Campbell Soup Kids?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Bizzy,

Have you ever read the book of Leviticus? Details , details. What can priests wear at the temple. How many different kinds of leprosy are there -- leprosy of clothes, a house, AND skin? How many different relatives and / or beasts should you NOT get it on with? How big should each box in every room in the friggin' temple be?

I could go on and on. Jehovah loves long lists of rules.

So do Watchtower leaders. Perfect fit, I'd say.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Thanks, Gopher!

My point was that the latest incarnation of Jehovah is an invention of the WTS. The rules and lists they espouse are their own invention. While the god of the OT had his rules and regulations - the WTS had gone far beyond in service to their own agenda. I thought that was self evident, but worthy of reiteration. Perhaps not.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The WT leaders make Jehovah say want they want him to say. That's why the Jehovah of the Watchtower is so wildly inconsistent.

The Old Testament writers made Jehovah say what they wanted him to say. That's why the Jehovah of the OT is so wildly inconsistent.

We know the lunacy of the WT rules, we lived under them.

Ancient Israel lived under the lunacy of their judges, kings and Pharisees. If we could talk to them I'm sure we'd find a lot in common.

As you said, the Jehovah of the WT is largely a figment of corporate imagination, used to inspire fear and devotion. Kind of like Betty Crocker was a figment of corporate imagination, used to inspire baked good sales. Or how Mr. Peanut inspires snack sales.

How can a figment be almighty?

Your point is well taken.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit