Moving house and making your Record Cards disappear - can it be done?

by besty 4 Replies latest forum announcements

• besty
    besty

We might have the opportunity to move away to a different continent soon.

Seems to me a good idea to try and get our Record Cards out of our local cong. and make them disappear.

Any thoughts on how this could be done?

Are there benefits to doing this or am I just drawing undue attention to myself?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an old lively thread on the method, pros and cons.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/103550/1.ashx

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

as the thread referenced by jgnat said, dont bother...esp since you are going to another continent (thus another branch).

As for the suggestion on that thread about faking an address of a secretary, dont bother. If you are moving within a circuit, or nearby circuit, someone knows someone...

When I was secretary and someone moved out of state (and many moved out of the hell hole of a congo I was in), they would give me the new secretary name/address. Being the thorough sort, I always called the Society - Service Desk - and verified the secretary information. No one ever tried to pull a fast one like that, but I was the rare one that followed procedure.....

Here is what you could do. Call the Society at Patterson, ask for Service Desk. When you get the service desk, ask for the <state> Desk....choose a state far from either your old congo or your new home. Tell them you are moving to a new congo there and want the nearest KH and would like the name/address/phone number of the secretary so you can get in touch with them before you move there. They will be glad to give it to you, no questions asked. Have the secretary of your old congo send your cards/letters to that KH. Make sure you include an address of where you are moving (just go online and find a house for sale and use that address). Letter goes to congo, they go to address, no YOU, maybe just an empty house, maybe they call old congo, maybe not....might figure you havent moved in yet.... meanwhile, you settle into your new location....ahhhhh... (this only works if no one in your old congo knows where you really went....because:

I cant find the quote from the KM just now, but if you dont request the cards be moved, the secretary could take the initiative and not wait for the request from the new secretary send the cards and a letter ahead of you without you requesting them. If he knows where you are moving to, he can send them to a congo in that city...it would be forwarded if it was the wrong congo....

SnakesInTheTower (of the devious Sheep Class)

oh, when I changed congos, and later became an elder, I removed the letter of introduction with its lies about me from the file....wish I had done that with my last congo...

• willyloman
    willyloman

Actually, the best place for your cards to be is wherever you're NOT.

• Scully
    Scully

If you're going to be on another continent, just arrive there and live your life as though you aren't a JW. The only hitch with that is if you have friends or relatives who know of your intent to "fade" and send word to the WTS branch to let them know how they can find you.

The other hitch would be in returning to where you are now at some future date. If you can possibly avoid it, just don't move back to the same congregation's territory.

Moving to another circuit made for a very nice clean break from the local congregation - they weren't expecting to see us at meetings or circuit assemblies anymore. We never showed up at the new congregation so they weren't expecting us either. However, there was a brief interval where someone from the old KH knew someone in the new KH and divulged our address to them to make sure we weren't forgotten. Then they moved away and life was as normal as it could be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit