I know I am on track in life when:

by zensim 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• zensim
    zensim

On the weekend I did a deceptively simple exercise that was in fact so powerful - very profound and meaningful. It has given me such a deeper understanding of my true nature, of what I live for and how I can live my life truthfully. So I thought I would share the exercise here.

It only takes about 10-15 minutes and is quite effortless. At the same time it has the possibility of revealing an inner guidance that you can use as a measuring stick in your life.

On a sheet of paper, write the heading:

I FEEL THE JUICE OF LIFE IN THESE MOMENTS:

Then make a list, point by point, of all the times in life, past and present, where you have felt totally in the stream of life - joyous, free, at one, in the moment, really getting the most out of life.

It can be the simplest things also. Don't judge what comes up as meaningless, trivial or 'wrong'. If playing poker gives you 'juice' then write that. If it is having sex in public - write that! If it's going to church, chanting mantras, playing music or reading a book in a sunny spot - write that. I wrote lots of different things, some big, some small. For instance, one of mine was swinging on a swing. Most of the time when my kids want to go to the park I think "I could be doing something else". Yet when we get there, if I get on the swing (rather than just pushing them) I feel such a sense of fun and elation. I also wrote 'Giving birth'.

So make a list of 10-30 things. Don't force it. Once the ideas stop flowing, leave it.

Then, on another piece of paper put the heading:

THE ESSENCE OF JUICY MOMENTS: Then, for each point you wrote on the other page, write the essence of the feeling you gained from that moment. For instance, for 'Giving birth' I wrote 'Purpose/Love' (someone else might write 'empowered' or 'fulfilment'). For 'Swinging on a swing' I wrote 'sense of being alive' (for me it is that rush of wind in the air, the falling feeling in my stomach).

So write one or two words which really capture the essence of that moment for you personally .

Then, in an adjacent column, make another list - chunking down again those moments of essence. You may have already noticed that you have used the same word more than once eg 'connection' or 'peacefulness' etc etc.

And then do that again until you eventually come up with one word or a statement that captures exactly what it happening when you feel fully in the flow of life.

Write it down, starting with "I know I am on track in life when ...".

Sit with that statement or word, really feel how true it is for you.

Start using it in your daily life. If your statement is "I know I am on track in life when I am celebrating life" then use it when you are not sure what to do, feel negative or are full of doubts. If you make a mistake and start berating yourself - ask yourself "Am I celebrating life?" If you are doing something because you have been told you 'should' or believe you 'should' - check internally "Am I celebrating life [or insert your own stament/word] when I do this?" It is of great assistance when procrastinating, trying to prioritise or choosing how to go about doing something. Got to cook dinner/do errands but feel bad you haven't spent quality time with your kids/partner? Then find a way to combine the activities so you are being true to your essence.

Use it. Use it in your life consciously until you start to live effortlessly from your own unique essence - living your own truth - not the truth of others' preferences/perceptions.

• blondie
    blondie

We start small here first with birthdays then holidays...we have to work up to celebrating life.

• serendipity
    serendipity

When I look at my list, I wish I could get paid to do the things on it. :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit