Driving a Stick Shift

by WTWizard 5 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Has anyone in service ever driven a stick shift? I have seen plenty of people with stick shifts in my day, and believe me they drive like gas has a negative cost. First thing I have observed is that a good many pioneers will have the habit of leaving the car in second gear driving down a city block. They will be going in light traffic conditions on level ground, going about 35 MPH, in second gear for perhaps a quarter mile. And I am thinking "Are you going to shift this thing into third or even fourth gear?" I have also noticed some drivers that will be doing 45 MPH on a back street and not even think of getting into fourth gear, as well as people driving on the expressway doing close to 70 in fourth gear (these vehicles are five-speed, not four).

Does anyone still notice people doing this? Driving in too low a gear is like buying power when you don't need it. There are times when you should delay shifting. If you are towing a heavy load and accelerating, if you are accelerating to get onto a freeway or highway, or if you are on a steep grade, you may need this extra power and you should gear down accordingly. However, with the price of gas, it seems a waste to do this while in the city on streets that are flat and clear.

Most five-speed cars today can be upshifted long before these speeds are reached. For instance, you should be in third gear by the time you reach 20, fourth by the time you hit 30, and fifth by 40. Six-speeds with higher gear ratios should be in sixth gear before you hit 50 unless you are entering a freeway or attempting to pass. People that follow this general rule will save a lot of gas, and pollute less. Plus, it will save you money. Of course, there is an exception if the engine is running too hot: you want to run it in low gears to get the air moving on the engine block to cool it until you can find out what the problem is. Otherwise, people should run in the highest gear you can comfortably run. That way, you will help save gas.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

In South Africa most of the cars are stick shift. It always makes me laugh when we watch Amazing Race and the contestants cannot even get the car into first. Driving a car in second gear for ages uses far too much fuel and the engine is then very noisy, cannot understand why anyone would do this. What do you think the ratio is between automatic and stick on the roads?

• undercover
    undercover

All of my vehicles are manual transmissions. I don't like automatic transmissions...they're no fun.

Each of my vehicles has a different gearing ratio. My truck is geared really low. I shift from 1 to 2 almost immediately. If I'm rolling at all in an intersection or do a rolling stop at a stop sign, I keep it in 2nd and don't even bother with 1st. It pulls off nice and easy and I'm in third by about 15mph, unless I need to accelerate hard.

My cars need to be wound out a little more though for a smooth transition. If you shift too early you lug the engine and you have no throttle response if needed.

Personally, I'll give up the slight gain in fuel mileage to ensure that I'm at a good rpm for accelerating should I need (or want it) it when driving our sportier cars.

I got to drive a BMW M series car with the new paddle shifter behind the steering wheel on a performance track. Wow...now that's cool as hell.

Automatics do have their place, such as in minivans 'cause soccor moms are too busy trying to get the kids to behave to worry about shifting gears. They're good in urban SUVs 'cause the phallically challenged businessman is too busy making calls on his cell phone to worry about shifting gears.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never could figure out why people don't learn when to upshift. I have noticed that the Upshift light comes on very close to the speeds I have posted, when it is available. Maybe they are too damn lazy to shift up into the proper gear. Hence the proliferation of automatics in this country.

I don't even do that on my bike! On a bike, using higher gears builds stronger muscles, while lower gears builds a better aerobic workout. You are using calories--either way--when using a bicycle. But, in a car, people that wait until the engine is going to blow up before upshifting are asking for higher fuel bills and expensive engine wear and tear problems.

• juni
    juni

Yes Wizard. But only one idiot. He was a jerk outside of his car also..... he was a true social misfit. Scared to death of bees. One time at the door a bee started swarming his head and he's striking at it w/his book bag and then starts diving at me to save his sorry ass. He was so embarassing. We worked together quite a bit as no one else wanted to be w/him. I could write a book!

I finally told him that I was driving. Most of my life I've driven stick so know when to shift and not to lug the engine. Another sister always "rode" the brakes. Drove me nuts! One foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake all the time.

I preferred to drive because I felt safer. I believe in concentrating on your driving and not yakking while taking your eyes off the road. A group of us almost got killed head on because a sister was yapping away and not paying attention to traffic. I yelled STOP! Scared the s*** out of all of us.

Sorry I'm rambling...... just brought back bad memories.

• Gregor
    Gregor

My Grandfather used to shift his little underpowered Rambler through all three gears so quickly he was constantly lugging the engine and never had any acceleration available. When coming to a stop he never down shifted and would not disengage the clutch until the last moment before the engine stalled. Drove me nuts.

It's fun to drive a powerful car in the next lower gear, it sounds cool and is like having a tiger on a leash ready to scat at the slightest touch of the accelerator. Also fun to downshift when cornering instead of using the break then coming out of the curve with a burst of speed. Whoopee!

My real pet peeve is people who drive automatics and use their left foot for braking. They tend to rest that foot on the brake pedal and are jerky drivers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit