Looking for new books to read by ex-jWs or ex-jW issues

by blondie 9 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I found this on the net. Has anybody ever seen this book come out?

The following is taken from the in progress manuscript of the book Letters to an Elder by R. J. Sikorski. It outlines Robert J. Lofton's defining cult characteristics and how the Jehovah's Witnesses fit the"mind control" profile. It was written as a refutation to the February '94 Watchtower article "Cults-What Are They?."

http://www.goodcathinfo.com/ccarchdefncult.htm

Besides Ray Franz' books, what other balanced books could you recommend could be in a good ex-jw library?

• hopie
    hopie

I JUST RELEASED THIS BOOK WITHIN THIS LAST YEAR:

"GOING UNDERCOVER TO RESCUE MY DAUGHTER, FROM THE CULT OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES"

BY NANCY J. SAGE

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Undercover-Rescue-My-Daughter/dp/0941813053

hopie

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Gentile Times Reconsidered by Jonnson

Apocalypse Delayed by James Penton

My Christian Quest by Ronald Frye

Jehovah's Witness by Diane Wilson

Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron

Have You Seen My Mother by Bryan McGlothin

The Four Presidents of the Watchtower Society by Edmund Gruss

I have read and enjoyed all the above books by Xjw's.

Jeff

• hubert
    hubert

"THE TRUTH BOOK" .... Escaping a childhood of abuse among Jehovah's Witnesses... by Joy Castro.

Hubert

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

What Jeff posted also, "Blood On The Altar." David A. Reed. True account about those who died needlessly because of refusing any kind of Blood.

Blueblades

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

"THE TRUTH BOOK" .... Escaping a childhood of abuse among Jehovah's Witnesses... by Joy Castro.

Hubert

I have tried three times to read this one. The writing style sucks eggs in my opinion. I have read the first two chapters three times trying to see what her story line is. Like trying to read tea-leaves. SOme might like it. I didn't get it. Jeff

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

jakes has just had his book published, he was kind enought to send me the manuscript a few months ago. Maybe you could PM him and see how you can get a copy.

• hubert
    hubert
    I have tried three times to read this one. The writing style sucks eggs in my opinion. I have read the first two chapters three times trying to see what her story line is. Like trying to read tea-leaves. SOme might like it. I didn't get it.
    Jeff

RE: The Truth Book.

Jeff, I agree. The first 4 or 5 chapters are hard to understand. The problem is, she goes back and forth in time, without explaining where she is at the moment, and you have to read a few paragraphs to grasp where she is in time at that moment. I wish she didn't start her book that way, because it makes her look like she isn't a good writer, and that it won't be an interesting read. However, once you get past the first few chapters, I promise you, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT THE BOOK DOWN.

It is her true story, and once you see how she and her brother were treated by their elder step father, and also her mother, you'll be glad you read the book. She is a teacher in a college now, and it's amazing that she was able to have a normal life after the abuse she went through in her childhood. My hat's off to her, and her brother.

Please trust me on this one. Try it again. She doesn't jump around as much in the later chapters, and when she does, you'll understand her way of writing by then, and it won't be so confusing.

Sincerely, and with due respect....

Hubert

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

James Beckford's The Trumpet of Prophecy is the best book on JWs imo.

And look out for this book coming out in English next year:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Between-Resistance-Martyrdom-Jehovahs-Witnesses/dp/0299207943/ref=sr_1_2/202-6604334-7553415?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181052151&sr=1-2

Slim

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I'm a big fan of Apocalypse Delayed

The author at one point wrote a fluff book for the witnesses when he was still in. It was called: "Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada: Champions of Freedom of Speech and Worship".

Some of his peers really enjoyed the book and asked him to write a book on the history of the Witnesses. Well he started out and was jolted by the cold hard reality of history.

However he remains objective and gives an extremely balanced history of the Witnesses. I'm not sure if you'll learn anything new from it, but he makes some interesting observations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit