about Gilead

by ALEX_2003 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ALEX_2003
    ALEX_2003

I would like to know more about Gilead. Can anybody who knows about Gilead help answer my questions? I have always had a lot of curiosity about it. * What subjects are on the curriculum? * How long does class run each day? * Is there a special Gilead study book, like the special books that Pioneers get at Pioneer school, or like the elder manual? * Do they read the Bible at all at Gilead? * I have heard that Gilead students receive new publications before they are released at the assemblies. Is this true? * Does the study course include tests? If so, are these tests graded? Can you flunk out of Gilead based on these tests? * Are there any people here who have gone to Gilead, and if so, can they answer some of my questions? Thank you in advance for your comments.

• juni
    juni

Welcome Alex to the forum!

Those are very good questions. I'll be interested to see if someone has the answers.

Have a good evening!

Juni

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Alex_2003

Gilead (Watchtower Bible School of Gilead) is the school for missionaries started by N.H. Knorr, then president of Watchtower for Jehovah's Witnesses around 1942 (invitations went out Dec 42, 1st class started Feb 43). The current Watchtower (7/1/07, page 15-17) shows class number 122.that graduated in March 07. 56 students (all married couples these days...although at one time single sisters were invited to Gilead, but not now), from 9 countries being assigned as missionaries to 26 countries. Averages for this particular class: age 33.4. Years baptized: 16.8. Years in full-time ministry:13... (aka "pioneering"....at least 70 hours per month as "regular pioneers", somer are "special pioneers" 120 hours per month). Usually have very strong "skills" in starting Bible Studies and successfully bringing these students into baptism.

The class is 5 months (20 weeks) in duration. The students have class in the morning and Bethel assignments (working at Bethel in various capacities) in the afternoon (if I recall correctly). Field Ministry and Congregation Meetings on the weekend. TONS of homework and reading. I do not know for certain if these exact topics are in Gilead, but these were the subjects on the curriculum for the Ministerial Training School (MTS) as of a few years ago....(MTS is a condensed version of Gilead), include: "God's Administration" (including a lot on Biblical Law), "The Bible -- Its Study and Teaching" (consideration of the All Scriptures Inspired and Beneficial" publication, focusing on the non-Bible book topics at the beginning of the book), "Field Ministry" (obvious, but includes cover-to-cover of the Reasoning from the Scriptures publication, "Christian Meetings" (showing how meetings are to be conducted, including full demonstration of "model" meetings by the students), "Theocratic Organization" (all the stuff elders should know), "Growing Spiritually" (personal development), "Bible Teachings" (basic doctrines), "History of Jehovah's Witnesses" (cover to cover of the Proclaimers publication, which is interesting if your instructor lived during that time), "Public Speaking" (cover-to-cover of the Ministry School publication, along with talks to be given by the students, with counsel by the instructors (and students in MTS)). Use of the TheNew World Translation of the Holy Scriptures -- With References (the official JW Bible) is used and how to use all of its auxiliary features (footnotes, cross-references, appendixes, the meaning of those little J symbols, etc) is featured in great detail.

Some of this likely differs in Gilead than MTS. I put these topics because MTS is the 8 week version of Gilead for single ministerial servants and elders to prepare them for serving in congregations needing elders as well as preparing them for possible circuit work. The emphasis is different at Gilead, focusing more on ministry and working with the new cultures, whereas MTS focuses more on the organizational aspects to prepare brothers for congregational assignments in their home land. I believe at Gilead they do read the NWT bible in its entirety, but please dont quote me on it. Gilead focuses more on the Bible I think than MTS, but there is a lot of reading and personal study in either class. MTS is full five 8 hour class days and a 4 hour class on Saturday morning (for the Public Speaking unit), with an hour for lunch, and an hour of chores each day and 4-5 hours of homework a night.

As for seeing new publications, I can not speak to this, but I would not be surprised if they incorporate that so they have the "cutting edge" (ahem) from the Society. This is not the case in MTS.

Special books? Not certain about Gilead, but MTS had an "outline" notebook and MTS students are told that it is based on the Gilead curriculum. (MTS grads do not get to keep that notebook, but most copied it) The big difference in Gilead and MTS is that the ministerial servants get to see the elder's "secret" (except its all over the internet) handbook Pay Attention To Yourselves and All the Flock, something MS's do not normally have access to. MSs have to partner up with an elder and use theirs during the course. They dont get their own until they are appointed elders (which often occurs shortly after graduation). Of course, if this special information is covered in Gilead, the sisters (wives) would definitely NOT be invited on those courses. Some organizational courses at Gilead I think are "brothers only", (maybe someone can tell me otherwise if I am wrong), but are heavily emphasized at MTS where only brothers attend.

Are there tests? Yes. There is a mid-term and a final, possibly other tests. The reason is that Gilead is an accredited school recognized by the US Department of Education for the purposes of issuing F-1 visas to international students coming to the US for the school. (source: Proclaimers, page 538) Tests are graded. Can someone flunk out? I am sure if they did a really poor job they could. Those tests are designed to be passed, but not without proper study. But I am sure since Gilead is made up of married couples, they are supporting each other in their studies.

Hope that answers some of your questions. NO, I did not attend Gilead. But consider some of this insider info. Maybe poster named mtsgrad can help me confirm some of the details, especially on the MTS,.....and its similarities to Gilead. (or any former missionaries here?... you would be THE source, eh?)

SnakesInTheTower (of the "this is a long post" Sheep Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit