Fun with InfraRed

by Jim_TX 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

As many know, I have an LED lighting system mounted to the wall inside my home. I turn the LEDs on and off by using an infrared remote controller. Simple.

The other day, my wife's son, who is visiting for the summer found a laser tag 'gun' in a thrift store where we were shopping. He showed it to me. I asked him... 'How do they work? InfraRed?' He replied, 'Yeah.' I said, 'Cool. Let's get it.' It was $1.50. I figured that we'd have fun with it.

We got it home, and I put batteries in it, and sure enough, it works, but it is very directional. There is a tube over the InfraRed diode, and it makes it so that you need to point the gun right at the sensor to get it to work. Not only that, but it only works up to about 10 feet away.

Well, this evening my wife and her son were playing with the laser gun, and pointing it at the sensor, and getting the LED lights to go on and off - if they 'hit' it just right.

My wife was sitting on the couch - which is not in the 'line of fire', and took careful aim, and... I was sitting there in my recliner, and surreptuously hit a button on my remote controller. The LED lights went off. (She hadn't even hit the fire button, so I figured that she would realize she hadn't turned them off.) She got all excited! She aimed the gun again at the sensor - took careful aim, and pulled the trigger. (the gun makes all sorts of noise when you pull the trigger.)

Again, I hit a button on my remote, and the LED lights turned on. She was very excited. She exclaimed 'Well! Looks like it works from THIS angle, too!'

I then held up my remote controller - letting her see that I was the one causing them to go on and off.

We all had a good laugh over that one.

(This may be one of those... 'you just had to have been there' stories.)

Regards,

Jim TX

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

You're lucky she has a sense of humor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit