New World Translation on Jeporady

by moomanchu 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    The Jeopardy thing is definitely false, for the simple reason that ALEX DOESN'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS! He provides answers, and contestants supply the questions.

Great point. I've never gotten that little email, or heard tell of it, but I'll be prepared for it when it does come...

• Highlander
    Highlander

Alex:

New world translation

Contestant:

What is the least accurate bible translation in history?
  • moomanchu
    moomanchu

Once again thanks guys.

Here is my blatantly plagarized lazy response to my mom,

Recently on Jeopardy on TV...One of the questions was.....What is >the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?? No one got the >correct answer, so Alex Trebek said "New World Translation of the Holy >Scriptures, printed by Watchtower Bible Tract Society.... ]

I don't believe this Jeopardy thing, for the simple reason that ALEX DOESN'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS! He provides answers, and contestants supply the questions. I'm too lazy and don't have the time to look up all the points from that e-mail you sent about the New World Translation and the Jeopardy show. The bible is up to interpretation. Everyone says their version is more correct. Jason David BeDuhn says in his book that he is baffled why Jehovahs name is added to the NT,also it has an appendix about the inaccuracy of adding the word Jehovah to the New Testament. So really you shouldn't be using this guy for any references or quotes. For comments from Jeopardy watchers like....... "see the JW translation is the best - this same expert show has the Fall of Jerusalem at 586.
    Witnesses jump on peoples quotes when it fits their needs, when it doesn't, no matter how valid, they discard it. I have faith in Jesus and Jehovah's word the bible what else do I need.
  • Gopher
    Gopher

>> Game show fan here !!

In all the years I've watched Jeopardy, the answers-and-questions given dealt with FACTS, not opinions or ideas.

This e-mail cannot be accurate, unless the Jeopardy answer was stated in the form: "According to author or professor Jason David BeDuhn, this is the most accurate translation of the scriptures".

Even that would seem to be very unlikely.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Here's the thread

www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/133542/1.ashx">

Cheers

Borgia

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Sure it's true, and smurf dolls get up and walk out of meetings all the time.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

When a JW friend sent me this same email, I got the answer you are looking for.

Here's my thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/133542/1.ashx

Here's my first entry:

So I get an email from a JW, good friend. He sends a bulk mail that was sent to him and spread around.
    Notice the main content:

Subject: Fw: Bible Accuracy Recently on Jeopardy on TV, the questions was- What is the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?
    No one got the correct answer, so Alex Trebek said "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, printed
    by Watchtower Bible Tract Society.
    So here was my answer: I researched Jeopardy archives, pretty easy to do. The site is J-archive.com. Just search for "Bible" and all
    the questions for a year or more come up. Search "New World Translation" and nothing comes up. This
    would be an opinion question, not a fact question, so they would avoid such a question. There was no such
    question with Alex saying "New World Translation." I googled the subject and it is discussed in various places
    on the web. This is the best possible reason why this untrue statement is circulating:
    it's a POWERPOINT GAME someone made up and posted on the internet and called it "Theology Jeopardy."
    It isn't the TV Jeopardy, and any common sense adult thinking person would know they would never endorse
    one over the other. For all we know, a Jw posted it and then used it as proof. Be careful what you email. Don't assume it's true because you read it.
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/132388/1.ashx/NWT+on+Jeopardy%3F

(and from there the link to an earlier and deeper discussion of BeDuhn).

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>What is the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

The quick-killer on this one is the fact that Jeopardy doesn't ask questions, it gives answers. It would have been "This is the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures". Of course "Holy Scriptures" is a phrase I seriously doubt they would have used, since that could mean the Koran or the Book of Mormon, or whatever you consider holy.

I wrote to that Bible translator guy (DeBuhn? BeDuhn?) asking if the quote of his they used was accurate and in context. He replied that it was, but didn't comment further. Apparently they didn't misrepresent him.

Dave

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A detailed review of the book that shows that he had both good and bad things to say about NWT

http://www.tetragrammaton.org/truthintrans.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit