Friends

by clarrie 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• clarrie
    clarrie

Hi All

I am wondering if a witness is supposed to have friends within the Kingdom Hall circle only and if it is frowned upon to be friendly with a churchgoer (Methodist)

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yes, they are not supposed to befriend "worldly" people, and if they do, it is only supposed to be with the intent of converting them to the JW's.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Junction is right. "Bad association spoil useful habits", is etched on every dubs mind. However, I alway walked on the edge with what I called "associates", (not friends) at work. So some dubs will ignore the GB's advice and have some superficial friendships, but don't ask them to admit it!

• clarrie
    clarrie

The reason I ask is because I have known my friend for over 30 years - we met at work. We have had many nights out together - pub, films, concerts and gone on day trips and religion hasn't been a problem. Last year she started with depression and was ringing me a lot at work and at home crying. She finally admitted that she was having strong doubts and didn't want to do more door to door work which she had been advised to do by the elders who told her that it would take her mind off her troubles. Her father and the elders pushed her into taking redundancy which she did just to shut them up.

Unfortunately she ended up being admitted to a pyschiatric ward late last year and is still there. I am showing her my support by visiting and phoning but her friends at the Kingdom Hall are taking over and it looks as though she hasn't told them that she has worldly friends. I have told her in one of my letters that I am there for her anytime if she wants to talk in confidence but I have the feeling that she will just do what they say when she doesn't want to. She has always seemed to be a bit embarassed by it and describes the Kingdom Hall as 'where I go' and had started asking me questions about my church which is Methodist.

• Warlock
    Warlock

clarrie,

Please keep doing what you are doing. She needs you desperately right now. If she had friends like you at the Kingdom Hall, she wouldn't be where she is now.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit