Another example of the jws lying about their history

by dedpoet 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

According to the watchtower of May 1st 1989, the watchtower society made
    "significant changes" to its practices in 1917:

Watchtower 1989 1st May - Babylon the Great Takes a Fall

It has its parallel in the fall of symbolic Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. In the early part of our 20th century prior to 1919, the Bible Students, as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known, had to be released from a form of spiritual captivity to the ideas and practices of false religion. Although having rejected such false teachings as the Trinity and the immortal soul, they were still tainted by Babylonish practices. Many had developed a self-righteous attitude in character development. Some were exalting creatures, indulging in a personality cult that focused on Charles T. Russell, the first president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. Without any Biblical basis, they were observing birthdays and Christmas. The cross was still prominent in their thinking. Some even wore a cross-and-crown lapel emblem, while others sought the respectability accorded Christendom. Then, in 1917, shortly after the death of Russell, a significant change began to take place. In that year the Watch Tower Society published a commentary on Revelation under the title The Finished Mystery.

[...]

in relation to Jehovah’s Witnesses, Babylon the Great had fallen in 1919. They were free from Babylonish restraint!

They didn't change allthat quickly though:

What about the practices of Christendom that were being followed, was there a significant change in their practice.

• Christmas was celebrated for a further 10 years
    • Birthdays were celebrated for a further 10 years
    • Pyramidology was taught for another 11 years
    • The Cross was taught for another 20 years
    • Christ’ second coming in 1874 was taught for another 13 years
    • The last days (starting from 1799) were still being taught for another 13 years

The answer is that their was absolutely no change, let alone “significant change”, after 1917 and the Watchtower continued teaching Christendom’s practices for at least a further 10 years and even 20 years with regard the Cross which is allegedly Christendom’s biggest symbol.

Obviously, all these practices were eventually discontinued, but the watchtower
    article seems to me to imply that they were stopped almost immediately, while
    the truth is some went on for years afterward, although they admit in the article
    that there was no scriptural basis for any of them. Since, according to the org,
    1917 was supposedly the year Babylon the Great fell and the watchtower was
    released from spiritual captivity and no longer saw the need to join Christendom
    in its false religious practices, they have to tweak their history to fit in with that
    event.

They were certainly still celebrating Christmas in 1926, as this link to the bethel
    Christmas party photograph shows:

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/christmas.html

Notice how, whenever the watchtower refers to "old light", they revert to using
    the third person plural, 1e "they" or "some", never "we". Perhaps because
    these events are written about many years after they actually happened (though
    not as many years as the org would have us believe), they hope that no one will
    notice the discrepancy.

dedpoet

• moshe
    moshe

They sure know how to whitewash their past. Thanks for the excellent history leasson.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

What a big revolution against Christendom that was! A 10+ year revolution.

I hate reading anything by the Borg so much now - it actually makes me sick i swallowed it all for so long. I think the time is long overdue for a big bonfire and get rid of all the time-wasting lie-filled books in ex Mr C's attic.

• badboy
    badboy

IF THEY WERE CELEBRATING BIRTHDAYS ETC INN RUSSELL'S DAY, DOESHAT MEAN,HE WAS AN APOSTATE?

• dedpoet
    dedpoet
    They sure know how to whitewash their past.

Indeed they do Moshe, and most of the flock swallow everything they
    say without question.

What a big revolution against Christendom that was!

Yes Crumpet, I'd love to ask a gb member why they still taught that
    jesus died on a cross for 20 years after the org realised it was "unscritural"

I hate reading anything by the Borg so much now - it actually makes me sick i swallowed it all for so long

I guess we all feel that way. You have more of an excuse than me - you
    were brought up with this crap, whereas I swallowed it at the age of 40, more
    than old enough to have more sense

I think the time is long overdue for a big bonfire and get rid of all the time-wasting lie-filled books in ex Mr C's attic.

Actually it's very cathartic to do that with watchtower literature. I burned all mine
    about 6 years ago, and it was such a great feeling to see all those watchtowers
    and books slowly turning to ashes. I wish I'd took a pic of it and sent it to my former
    colleagues at the kh.

IF THEY WERE CELEBRATING BIRTHDAYS ETC INN RUSSELL'S DAY, DOESHAT MEAN,HE WAS AN APOSTATE?

Well, they were celebrating them for a good few years after Russell had died Badboy,
    but CTR would definitely be an apostate nowadays in the org's eyes.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

w92 12/1 p. 14 pars. 8-9 "Bring All the Tenth Parts Into the Storehouse"

Apart from that, there were Babylonish practices remaining that needed to be eliminated. Organizationally too the faithful and discreet slave had to be cleansed. A proper position of neutrality toward this world had to be learned and applied. And as the world became more and more corrupt, they needed to put up a hard fight to keep moral and spiritual uncleanness out of the congregations.—Compare Jude 3, 4. 9 Yes, cleansing was needed, but Jehovah had lovingly promised concerning the enthroned Jesus: "He must sit as a refiner and cleanser of silver and must cleanse the sons of Levi; and he must clarify them like gold and like silver, and they will certainly become to Jehovah people presenting a gift offering in righteousness." (Malachi 3:3) Starting in 1918, Jehovah, through this messenger of the covenant, has fulfilled his promise and cleansed his people.
  • Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

I too get sick now!

• greendawn
    greendawn

They had to be found clean for the 1919 inspection so as to be chosen as God's only elite channel and overseers of all His earthly interests. Of course they have hyped to an extreme the danger of totally innocent things like the cross and Christmas but they failed to keep to these puritanical ideas for long after 1917.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Badboy, you bet Russell was an apostate.

If he walked into an average KH today, he would promptly be thrown out on his arse.

And this is the guy, according to the latest "revelation Climax" book, who is communicating through the spirit realm, with the WT leadership today.

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit