Writings show faith, doubt of Mother Teresa

by MegaDude 7 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I thought this was an interesting article that showed even the most "saintly" people struggle with their belief in God.

I've always respected this woman and the work that she did. Some interesting stats: The Missionaries of Charity, which she started, feeds 500,000 families a year in Calcutta alone, treats 90,000 leprosy patients annually and educates 20,000 children every year.

Associated Press:

WRITINGS SHOW FAITH, DOUBT OF MOTHER TERESA

"Mother Teresa sometimes felt rejected by God, helpless and tempted to abandon her work caring for the poor and dying, according to her letters and diairies published by an Indian theological journal.

The documents describe a lifelong spiritual struggle that ranges from joy and yearning for God to doubts of his existence. They were collected by Roman Catholic priests and nuns preparing a report for Pope John Paul II, who is considering her possible beatification, a step toward canonizing her as a saint.

Excerpts of writings from before she founded the Missionaries of Charity in 1946 to just before her death in 1997 appeared in the March issue of Vidyajyoti (Light of Knowledge), a journal published in New Delhi by the Jesuit order.

Describing tears of loneliness and the pain of feeling abandoned, Mother Teresa never stopped writing of her longing for God and her desire to be used completely by him. She also never stopped working, expanding her order to more than 100 countries and winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.

"She confesses frequently that in her darkness she was unable to pray, yet she encouraged her nuns to pray through personal union with Jesus," said the Rev. Joseph Neuner, a senior theologian who wrote the article and was a friend of Mother Teresa.

"This cleaving to each other, Jesus and I, is prayer," Mother Teresa wrote in 1966. As she walked about the slums of Calcutta, she constantly told God how much she longed for him.

"Some experience of darkness is part of every spiritual life," Neuner said. Even so, "it may be difficult to find a parallel to the lifelong night which enwrapped Teresa."

"It came to her at a time when she embarked on her new life in the service of the abandoned," Neuner said. "From the beginning, she had to experience not only their material poverty and helplessness, but also their abandonment."

She was tempted to return to Europe, writing of "all the beautiful things and comforts, the people they mix with, in a word everything."

She resisted, though, "Of free choice, my God, and out of love for you, I desire to remain and do whatever be your holy will in my regard," she wrote in 1949.

Some of the most agonzied writings come from 1959 and 1960, when the Rev. T. Picachy, future archbishop of Calcutta, was her spiritual confessor and had asked her to write out her thoughts.

"Now, Jesus, I go the wrong way," she wrote. "They say people in hell suffer eternal pain because of loss of God. In my soul, I feel just the terrible pain of loss, of God not wanting me, of God not being God, of God not really existing."

"Jesus, please forgive the blasphemy -- I have been told to write everything--that darkness that surrounds me on all sides. I can't life my soul to God: No light, no inspiration enters my soul," she wrote.

Neuner said Mother Teresa's understanding of her own spiritual journey led to joy, though not the end of darkness, as she realized that suffering brough her closer to Jesus

"Hope is a good thing... maybe the best of things."
    Andy's letter to Red in the Shawshank Redemption

• Xena
    Xena

I always thought Mother Teresa was a very strong courageous woman...this shows she was even stronger that I thought. To do all she did and still have those feelings inside her...what a woman.

Even when I was a JW I had a hard time with the reasoning that people like this didn't deserve to live...people who gave their all to what they believed in and did so much good...how could a righetous god comdem them? Guess that is just another reason I am no longer a JW.

Sad though to think that with all the good she did, she still did not feel like she had done enough because of religion....

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

This is a great post mega! Thanks for sharing. This definitely deepens my respect for Mother Theresa. That her concern was above all else to work for others, even without any attention, glorification, hope, or pay for herself. Amazing! If only all of us could have that selfless attitude towards one another - the world we would live in. But she did what I'm just learning lately - to change the world you must start with yourself!

Love,
    Andi

• treeny
    treeny

MegaDude, TX for sharing this article. She was a remarkable woman, and human being. What a beautiful soul. Take care.
    terry

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mega

Wow! What a woman. I greatly respect her devotion, her work, and she herself, as well as some of the other 'saints'. She, all by herself, puts the wt soc. to shame. Jesus said to do what she was doing. Uh oh, i'm sounding like a christian.

However, she could not percieve gods presence. This ads wieght to the nonexistence of the god of the bible.

S

• noidea
    noidea

Mega,

Being raised in the org. We were taught that all other religions were an instrument of Satan.
    Mother Theresa set such an example of what a true Christian should be, a life time of showing her warmth, care and compassion.
    Her deeds were to all those who were in need not just to those that were fellow believers.
    Even though there were times she doubted, she never abandoned those in need thus showing the importance of doing good for our fellowman and yet, not having a hidden agenda for doing so ...Thanks for the reminder!

• LDH
    LDH

And yet, my mother, lifelong sales rep for the WBTS, had the nerve to wrinkle her nose in disgust when MT died.

Said something to the effect of 'Good Riddance.'

It kills me the way faithful JWs look a an ACTUAL lifetime of service to humans, not corporations, as something to be sneered at.

Mother T would have felt God's presence if she had read some of the valuable literature my mother sells....er....places.

Lisa

• Satanus
    Satanus

LDH

The typical jw sneer to m teresa is truly saddening. I would imagine you meant sarcasm when you said that m t would have felt gods persence from the wt mags, but i would like to compare the wt lit w some catholic stuff. When i read some of the saint stories in the book butler's lives of patron saints, some brought tears to my eyes. I don't remember a wt ever doing that in all the 30 yrs i read them. Some dramas did.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit