Exposing psychological manipulation

by Ténébreux 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

Not sure if this has been discussed before (probably) but this is something that just occurred to me:

Religions and cults employ some very well documented psychological techniques to deceive, persuade and control people - logical fallacies, thought-reform, etc. Techniques which can be easily identified in action when one is aware that they exist. In fact once you know the tricks it's difficult not to see them almost immediately.

False religions use these techniques because they have to. In stark contrast the Watch Tower's truths are self-evident, so manipulation of any sort is completely unnecessary.

Now, since part of the Watch Tower's mission is to educate people about false religions and their wily ways, I would have thought some sort of in-depth discussion of these maniupulation methods would be in order. By alerting people to the specific psychological tricks employed by false religions and apostates, it would empower them to see through deception and make a much better decision about who they should listen to. "These people use logical fallacies and thought-reform behaviour," they would say, "whereas Jehovah's Witnesses do not."

Looking through the Watch Tower CD, however, I was amazed and bewildered to find little or no discussion of these things. While they are eager to point out specific false teachings and practices of other religions, any detailed examination of exactly HOW cults persuade people to believe their falsehoods is conspicuously absent.

Why would this be? I'm confused.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    Why would this be? I'm confused.

Hon...you're not confused. You just explained it to yourself...

• Confession
    Confession
    ...any detailed examination of exactly HOW cults persuade people to believe their falsehoods is conspicuously absent.

I believe that's because any detailed examination of such would demonstrate that, by any popular definition, they themselves are a cult. Why go there?

• themonster123
    themonster123

interesting point-kinda sounds like you're reiterating the old cliche: They're not telling you HOW to think, they're telling you WHAT to think.... anyway... Yes, Witnesses whoever thought up HOW to teach people was VERY smart....like the Watchtower study every sunday. you think "oh i'm actually answering these 'thought-provoking' questions a bout the Bible, I really AM doing 'critical thinking'" but as we all know once you get out and realize it, it's not critical thinking. Canned questions-canned answers. You're not really allowed to think critically at the end of the day as a Witness. Not so much. Not really at all.

You block out so many ideas before even allowing them to form. It's so narrow what you actually allow your brain to think. It's hard to adjust to worldly livin and worldly THINKING once you get out b/c everything's not so black and white and everything doesn't make SENSE like it did as a WItness....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No, you are not going to find the fallacies by looking just at official Watchtower material, unless you are pretty well educated in how to find them. That's the scam: most master scammers make the scams extremely difficult for the average person to detect, and then even harder to detect by just looking at official sources.

However, some have found the way out. Many have posted Web sites about it. I recommend getting Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz and reading that. You can get it through www.freeminds.org (which is another ex-JW information site). Another good site to check out is www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com . That site does an excellent job at pointing out the fallacies, backing up its statements with actual Watchtower articles from the past and Bible texts taken back in context. Either way, you will see for yourself how the Watchtower Society used deception to keep its members blinded.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

What I mean (sarcasm aside) is that your average JW would probably agree that false religions are manipulative, but would strongly deny that the WTS is. So with manipulation techniques being so well documented and easily understood, wouldn't it be logical for the WTS to give a great deal more attention to this easily proveable difference between themselves and other religions? If the difference is so clear, they should be shouting it from the rooftops along with every other minor thing that they consider makes them unique.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit