Follow "The Christ" - New Light Needed ???

by AlphaOmega 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I found an article recently that uses the phrase "apparantly not" - that usually points to a change in teaching !! It seems to be WT Speak for "we were wrong, now believe this..."

Thanks to Blondie for digging out the old publications that taught that "The Christ" was actually a composite term that consisted of (guess who) the anointed !

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/134505/1.ashx

The "anointed class," who would number 144,000, were to be "resurrected" to heaven. These, together with Jesus would become The Christ, the Messiah or Savior for the world during the Millennium.

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/intro.html

. How Shall the Earth Be Subdued?
    A. By the gods from the Pleiades

The July 18, 1923 Golden Age contained a follow up article. The article basically took up where Granger left off. It discussed how the Earth would be "subdued" according to the Genesis command by those who have "dominion." Since in Bible Student theology, this referred to the 144,001 Christ class or god squad sent from the Pleiades, it would be fulfilled by them during the Golden Age or Millennium. They would then, as the Sun of Righteousness, restore the lost dominion to those who became perfect in the flesh during the New Age.

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/electronman.html

It seems that they have had "New Light" since then

Don't you love it when they "go all out" to contradict a previous teaching with the phrase "apparantly not" !!!

Unless the GB have had massive doses of "New New Light", how can they infer that they are "The Christ" ?

w639/1pp.539-540NamesforChristandHisCongregation***

"THE CHRIST

"We come now to a consideration of those terms or titles that apply or are used to refer to Jesus Christ apart from his body members. Among those that might be mentioned as found in the Christian Greek Scriptures are "the Amen," "Faithful and True," "the Faithful Witness," "King of kings and Lord of lords," "the Lamb of God," "Leader," "the Lion that is of the tribe of Judah," "Lord," "Potentate," "Savior," and "the Word." Clearly, the designations here referred to apply, not to Jesus’ body members, but to Jesus himself, even as do his more commonly used names, "Jesus," "Jesus Christ" and "Christ Jesus."—Rev. 3:14; 19:11; 1:5; 19:16; John 1:29; Matt. 23:10; Rev. 5:5; 1 Pet. 3:15;1 Tim. 6:15; Luke 2:11; John 1:1; Matt. 1:21; Rom. 7:25; 8:1.

But what about the expressions "the Christ" and "Christ"? Does the use of the article with "Christ" designate something different from when no article is used? Might it be that, whereas the term "Christ" refers to Jesus Christ alone, the term "the Christ" could also include the 144,000 members of his body? Do the Scriptures support this thought or distinction?

No, they do not. Certainly Christ’s body members are not included in the words of Peter: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Then again, the 144,000 are said to rule "as kings with the Christ for a thousand years." How could they be said to be reigning with the Christ if they were a part of the Christ? Yes, there are many scriptures that distinguish between "the Christ" and the members of his body.—Matt. 16:16; Rev. 20:4.

In fact, the expression "the Christ" of itself at no time includes the members of Christ’s body.So the title "Christ," with or without the definite article, refers to Jesus Christ, the article serving to draw attention to or to emphasize his office as the Messiah. Christ is the Head and Bridegroom of the 144,000, his body or bride. That is why these ones are said to be "in union with Christ," to "belong to Christ," and to be "Christ’s body."—Rom. 12:5; 1 Cor. 3:23; 12:27.

The fact that Christians are said to be "in union with Christ" does not mean that they can be spoken of as "the Christ," anymore than the term "Lord" can be applied to them because children are told, "Be obedient to your parents in union with the Lord."—Eph. 6:1.

How, then, are we to understand 1 Corinthians 12:12? This reads: "Just as the body is one but has many members, and all the members of that body, although being many, are one body, so also is the Christ." Does not the term "the Christ" in this instance include the body members? No, apparently not, for what Paul is here discussing is the body of Christ separate and distinct from its Head. That is why he sums up his argument in verse 27, saying: "Now you are Christ’s body, and members individually." At verse 12 Paul is evidently using an elliptical way of speaking in connection with the Christ, a form of speech not uncommon in the Scriptures. So we could paraphrase Paul’s words at 1 Corinthians 12:12 this way: ‘Just as the body, though being a single entity, has many members, so it is with the body of Christ, that is, those associated with or belonging to Jesus Christ.'

In other words, the writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures do not make a distinction between "the Christ" and Jesus Christ. Illustrating this point is Ephesians 2:13, which says: "But now in union with Christ Jesus you who were once far off have come to be near by the blood of the Christ." Compare also Ephesians 1:10, 12, 20.

So we watch and wait for them dig out their old publications delcaring themselves as "Christ, saying 'I am he' ".

I'll try to dig out a scan of the full article.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Well, the anointed have already been demoted. They're not the "slave" anymore. The Governing Body is the "slave" now. That's the change. Now it needs to be sold.

"The Christ" will emerge as Jesus + the Governing Body = "The Christ". They won't say it in explicit terms unless I miss my guess. They'll imply and lead and suggest hypothesis that will lead to a "logical" conclusion. In fact, most people hearing it won't know what they just heard. After that it will be a fact.

Most of the support documentation has already been printed. Now the Society will go back and point it out. It should all be fine since it was all accepted without question when it was printed and studied. See how it works?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I see how it works... makes you want to scream doesn't it ???

hopefully one day, a stark staringly obvious contradiction in teachings will AWAKEn people to it.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Good thread. Thanks for starting it.

I didn't have to look very hard or far to find glaring contradictions in the Watch Tower teachings.

1. A. We don't take blood in any form. B. Transfusion of blood vacuumed out of an open wound, blood based vaccinations, and all fractions of all blood components are conscience matters, okay to take.

2. A. We don't get involved in politics, lobbying, or government. B. We hold the record for being the most politically active religion at the Judicial level in United States history.

3. A. The other sheep will not be judged until after the great tribulation. B. The other sheep currently submit to the Governing Body.

• Perry
    Perry
    Most of the support documentation has already been printed. Now the Society will go back and point it out. It should all be fine since it was all accepted without question when it was printed and studied. See how it works?

Yes I do. That's the same drill I've seen since I was a kid.

• Atlantis
  • AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Atlantis,

Thanks for these scans - you beat me to it

These will be handy to have to hand.

AO

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Atlantis - were those passages already underlined ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit