Prince Harry not going to Iraq.................

by fifi40 8 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

Whilst the rest of Harry's regiment has been deployed to Iraq, Harry will not go, because the threat posed to him and those serving alongside him is 'unacceptable'.

Militant groups are reported to have planned to either kidnap or kill him.

Needless to say some British families are asking the question why should their loved ones have to go out to serve, why is he special. It is answered with the emphasis being on the threat to those serving alongside Prince Harry.

What is your opinion?

• Adolfius
    Adolfius

I totally agree that the decision was mainly due to the threat Harry would have inadvertantly posed to his fellow soldiers.

Prince Harry like all soldiers desperately wanted to go to Iraq and do what he was trained to do. Obviously I don't know, but I would suspect that much of the Royal family would've wanted him to go as it would do the families image a world of good. Also, if the decision was made to keep him home for his own safety, why would they have allowed Andrew to go and fight in the Falklands? Neither man is the direct heir to the throne.

Harry would've been such a juicy target for the insurgents, it would've brought a dramatic increase in attacks on the British in the south. I for one would definitely not want to be anywhere near him when out on the ground on patrol. He would be the most effective bullet catcher in the history of warfare.

It's a great decision for the soldiers of the regiment, but an absolute tragedy for Harry personally. I feel for him.

Anyone who starts complaining that it's one rule for him and another for everyone else, simply doesn't understand the reality of it.

• bebu
    bebu

IMO it is a good call to say the risk is unacceptable. Not because his life is more precious than other soldiers' lives, but because politically it would make the war more difficult for all of the other British soldiers if he were to be killed or kidnapped. I think it is smart to avoid that particular possibility, which could make the war longer/harder. I'm sure Harry feels torn about not being with his comrades.

bebu

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Once upon a time, it wasn't publicly revealed where in the world particular regiments/naval ships were serving. If this was still the case, nobody would have known where to find Prince Harry.

Now he and his regiment, if he was to go, would be sitting targets. Their safety is paramount of course, but it does make Harry's enlistment in the armed forces a bit farcical if not totally pointless.

• bebu
    bebu
    Their safety is paramount of course, but it does make Harry's enlistment in the armed forces a bit farcical if not totally pointless.

Good point. Maybe he can shuffle papers in an office somewhere, under armed guard.

What other military options are open to him, I wonder??

bebu

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Needless to say some British families are asking the question why should their loved ones have to go out to serve, why is he special.

Seeing how their loved ones won't be targeted now with the sole reasoning that "Hey, we might kill Prince Harry!" one would think they'd be happy.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I would be so ashamed I would say f##k the queen and go anyway and be with my regimental buddies

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

A deception perhaps? Maybe he really is going.

• slimboyfat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit