The Stanford Prison Experiment & Bethel

by Amnesty Vendor 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

http://www.prisonexp.org/links.htm

I am fascinated by the similarities that were learned by the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment & my years at Bethel.
    It is noteworthy that even the psychologists got lost in the roles of this experiment.
    No wonder witnesses go into ‘non-thinking robot mode’.
    I must admit that I was definitely part of the machine during my faithful years as a JW, pioneer, bethelite, elder, etc.

Although I am sure that the organization as a whole displays similarities, the institutional intensity of bethel was particularly of interest to me.
    Do any other ex-bethelites see the same?

While certainly not trying to excuse them, perhaps the GB has created a monster that grew into something that they could not control.

Here are just a few notes from the associated FAQ:

• Q: What was the purpose of the Stanford Prison Experiment?

o A: The purpose was to understand the development of norms and the effects of roles, labels, and social expectations in a simulated prison environment.

• Q: Were the guards given any special training?

o A: No. The guards were given only a brief orientation telling them to maintain law and order, avoid physical violence, and prevent prisoner escapes.

• Q: Did personality scores predict which guards were most abusive?

o A: No. The most and least abusive guards did not differ significantly in authoritarianism, Machiavellianism, or other personality measures. Abusive guard behavior appears to have been triggered by features of the situation rather than by the personality of guards.

• Q: Did any of the participants suffer lasting trauma?

o A: Despite suffering extreme emotional stress during the experiment, all participants appear to have regained their baseline emotional states after the study. Extensive follow-up testing revealed no lasting trauma to participants.

• 5go
    5go

I watched that and I cry BS to the last answer I was in trama from watching that on TV.

It was good though show what wrong with the prison system in the US.

• sf
    sf

must admit that I was definitely part of the machine during my faithful years as a JW

And this [ The Machine ] is STILL going strong. By the continuing membership; for whatever excuses {not reasons}.

Admitting THIS is the first step.

Thank you.

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit