Any recommended readings on the 19th/20th turn of the century religions?

by Crooked Lumpy Vessel 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

I have read some historical references regarding William Miller and his 'end world' predictions back in the mid 1800s and how after the 'End' did not come, the religion broke off into what is now Seventh Day Adventist and Church of Christ (I think). There were also some interesting references attributing the establishment of Jehovah's Witnesses to William Miller in a round about way, since Charles T. Russell was originally an Adventist who broke away and started International Bible Students, carrying some of the same teaching but modified towards his interpretations.

I found this stuff pretty interesting history but was wondering if any one has ever written books that comment more in depth on this evolutional change in religion during the 19th and 20th centuries. Without of course the personal slant towards a belief system. I would like to read something more on historical fact than some cultish belief.

I am particulary curious as to why in the last couple of hundreds years people have been saying it is the end times. Maybe they have been saying it forever.... I dunno. Perhaps in reality, it has been the same group of people just changing faces and renaming.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Apocalypses: Prophecies, Cults, and Millenial Beliefs Through the Ages

Extremely important read! IMHO!

Good luck CLV!

Nvr

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Apocalypses: Prophecies, Cults, and Millennial Beliefs through the Ages

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
    Plagues, fires from heaven, worldwide computer failure--apocalyptic visions are nothing new. Indeed, they may well be a necessary part of life. As historian Eugen Weber points out, "apocalyptic prophesies are attempts to interpret the times, console and guide, and suggest the future." In Apocalypses: Prophesies, Cults, and Millennial Beliefs Through the Ages, Weber presents a history of end-of-the-worldisms, such as the panics during the sack of Rome in A.D. 410, multiple medieval Second Comings, Yeats's prediction of a "Celtic Armageddon" in 1899, and late-20th-century fears. This is no mere laundry list, however; Weber analyzes each of these beliefs and uses their historical contexts to make them more understandable. Weber's witty prose is tempered by an obvious respect for those with "alternative rationalities." Most readers, however, will enjoy watching these millennial beliefs recur throughout history--and perhaps breathe a sigh of relief. As Weber argues, St. Augustine's advice continues to ring true today: rather than trying to reckon the years before the end of the world, "relax your fingers and give them a little rest."

From Publishers Weekly
    From the hellfire and brimstone prophecies of John of Patmos to Marilyn Manson's album Antichrist Superstar, apocalyptic currents have nourished the cultural imagination. Surveying the field of millenarian beliefs, Weber (France: Fin de Si?cle, etc.), professor of history at UCLA, contends that the apocalyptic "lunatic fringe" deserves more than the condescension typically doled out by scholars. Indeed, he explains, "endism" has often played an important historical role, motivating Columbus's voyage to the Americas, inflecting debates over anti-Semitism, even figuring in the 1870 birth of the Canadian province of Manitoba. Writing with curiosity and empathy about such varied topics as the eschatological fallout from Halley's comet and Y2K survivalism, Weber turns up a few intriguing facts. By 1992, for instance, more than half of adult Americans expected the imminent cataclysmic return of Jesus Christ. What accounts for the persistence of such beliefs? Sifting through the historical record, Weber examines the utopian intent of much millennial thought. The Second Coming, after all, promises heaven on earth; even Engels noted the revolutionary potential of revivalist Christianity. On the other hand, more combative strains of millennialism have led to the 1978 Jonestown mass suicide and the release of deadly nerve gas into the Tokyo subway system. Reluctant to interpret these acts in any depth, Weber fittingly describes his work as a travel book, recording a journey through the ages. Still, gifted is the writer who can nimbly span the distant cultural poles of Nostradamus and Bill Gates.
    Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.

• Carmel
    Carmel

For a totally different spin on the "Case of the Missing Millinium" try William Sears' "Thief in the Night" carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit