Why don't we ALL just shut up and go away!

by Bridgette 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

So, why DON’T we all just shut up and leave the WTBTS alone to it’s “work”? This question comes up frequently from those still inside the organization. I want to address this question from my humble POV. First of all, I think it behooves us all to remember that the WTBTS, in the grand, cosmic scheme of things is quite minute. It is only because it has touched our lives (usually quite negatively, but not always), that it APPEARS to be the center of the universe. It is not. It’s actually quite a silly little group when you stand back and look at them. Pretend like you were never one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, or touched by them in anyway. Pretend you’re watching a documentary on them. It’s laughable. Take away the EXTREME collective paranoia, and the sick glee most express at over 6billion people dying, and it’s almost a loveable, albeit annoying, quirky sub-section of Americana. It’s sort of a religious Amway. The Multi-Level-Marketing Pyramid of the religious world.
    So, given this, why don’t we all just shut up, and quietly slink out of the Kingdom Hall with our shoulders slumped, and our tail between our legs (to coin a phrase from Tallyman) and never dare utter a word about the WTBTS? Why do we lurk and post here? Some of us embarking on mountainous research projects, building webpages, cult exodus groups,etc. I believe this: we are all here to heal and/or to help others heal. Some people here are extremely angry. It’s like the abused child (and many of us were literally physically and definitely emotionally abused with the sanction of this organization), who cannot make the non-confrontational break with the abusive parent. These are the fighters. After years of stifling their emotions, and having everything about their human individuality devalued, when some find their voice—they are fire spewing dragons. Others are the eternal peacemakers. Perhaps they are more objective. They can see some of the good things about growing up in or having been touched by the organization. They want to remember the happy times with “mother”: the times “she” wasn’t beating or belittling them.

We’re all here to learn and heal. I try not to judge how people need to heal.
    Despite appearances, however, what people would do well to remember is that there is a whole world out here. Those of us who have made our exit from the organization known as the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (a.k.a. Jehovah’s Witnesses) more times than not, have rich full lives since leaving, and are FAR FROM destitute, spiritually deprived, debauched individuals the cult would have you believe all who leave become. Many of us have gone on to non-dysfunctional relationships, overcome debilitating depression (which mysteriously disappears after leaving the ORG) received our education, gone on to careers, and have rich social lives that are not hindered by how much “time” a person puts in, how many meetings they make, or how dedicated to a human organization they are.
    Which brings me to another reason why I think we’re here. This organization has, up to now, insisted on exclusive devotion up to cutting off one’s family and even death, for policies that have changed, and prophecies that have proven false. With a track record such as this, it HAS to be questioned. Even WITHOUT a track record like that, any person, or group that purports to be GOD’S ONLY SPOKESPERSON ON EARTH and attempts to hold people THAT tightly MUST BE QUESTIONED—TOO MUCH IS AT STAKE TO SIMPLY HAND OVER YOUR LIFE AND YOUR CHILDREN’S LIVES TO A GROUP OF HUMANS. So we’re here with our knowledge and voices for those who are thinking of joining, so they can get an alternative view point from those of us who’ve been there and for those who’s voices cannot be heard from within, especially the children, who have no choice in the matter. And to be a safe haven where those who stumble out broken and bruised to let them know—THEY ARE NOT ALONE.
    Now, is this religious corporation going away anytime soon? I think not. Do I want IT to go away, like they would like myself and others to go away? Heavens no! Whose got that kind of resources or the inclination to bring down a corporation of that size? If nothing else, I think of the people in (like my mother) who need to be told what to do. They need the org like a heroine addict needs their next fix. They will lie to themselves and others, they will degrade themselves to no end, lying back and quietly taking whatever it is “mother” offers. This is sickening to those of us who crave freethought and spirituality, but this is the simple truth of the matter. Where would some be without “mother”? They would be emotionally shipwrecked. No, the org will probably be here for the long-haul. They’ve learned some very impressive survival lessons, and the name of the game today is PR (public relations). I believe this is why they are branching out into the lesser developed lands via the NGO UN sanction to obtain the fresh blood they desperately need to survive that they can no longer get in the more developed countries whose populace has more access to education.
    Now, are we, the questioners--the dissenters going anywhere? No. We are necessary for reasons denoted above. BUT are we making a difference? Yes. The organization, while not going anywhere, IS changing, my friends. Do we honestly think they would willingly change if they could continue in their power-crazed course unimpeded, unquestioned? I am glad they are changing. They are mainstreaming, and with this, their chokehold on people’s consciences and spirituality will diminish. They may even become useful in the worldwide scheme of things--NOT with their silly magazines (however, if these became truly educational, that would be great)-–feeding the hungry, building schools, supporting the UN charters—in other words—SECULARIZING. As for our part, I’m proud to be here. We’re doing what we need to. In the words of the great Frederick Douglas when asked on his deathbed how civil rights should proceed: “agitate—AGITATE!”. We’ll always be watching. And we won’t be silenced while people are being oppressed.
    Thank you for letting me vent and heal in my own way.
    Love,
    Bridgette

"Believing is easier than thinking. Hence so many more believers than thinkers." --Bruce Calvert

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Shut up Bridgette!

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I have to respectfully disagree on one of the points that you made.

First of all, I think it behooves us all to remember that the WTBTS, in the grand, cosmic scheme of things is quite minute. It is only because it has touched our lives (usually quite negatively, but not always), that it APPEARS to be the center of the universe. It is not. It’s actually quite a silly little group when you stand back and look at them. Pretend like you were never one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, or touched by them in anyway.

It is not minute to so many of us who have friends and family that we care about who are still in the religion. If it was just myself that was affected then yes, I would just walk away and chalk it up to experience. But if there is anything I can do the save someone else, especially my family, then I will have to fight until I die.

I am grateful that I can get together with others who care also.

Thank you Bridgette

TimB

• Seeker
    Seeker

And thank you for venting with us. :)

In addition to what you say, I also find it humorous when a JW tells us, "Why can't you just go your own way in peace and leave us alone?" What does an ex-Catholic who becomes a JW do? Right, they go door-to-door, preaching to Catholics about the problems of the Catholic church. I think Catholics should tell these JWs, "Why can't you just go your own way in peace and leave us alone?"

JWs are just getting a taste of their own medicine. How appropriate.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Speaking as someone who is still fresh from an 'apostofest'...

Being in or around a cult (27 years for me) is a lot like being in some kind of natural disaster. It's hard to realize how bad it is untill it's long been over. And even during the WTC disaster, we hear the stories of people who got out turning around and helping others; I downloaded an image that I peek at from time to time of a firefighter going UP the stairs of Tower 1 I believe it is.

2 things concern me the most about the Watchtower organization...the body count and the incredible social burden to society. Those children on the face of that infamous Awake magazine were human beings who had their whole lives ahead of them...they possibly may have become doctors and lawyers and social workers....persons we need right now. The work of ex-jw's has made a big difference in blood, alternative service, rape resistance and voting issues.

The other thing that concerns me is the social burden. Many of the children of Jehovah's Witnesses grow up to need a tremendous amount of community resources just to STAY ALIVE...I can give you stories, people I have personally met. Then they need community resources to rebuild their lives and finally to build a new life. If it really is true that the Watchtower is a burden to Society, I believe it should be made to pay somehow.

Such issues unfortunately are a little trickier to navigate than the United Nations issue...but it can be done I believe. But the most important thing is saving lives. That is why instead of running, with new information, to hard-core JW's I think it is a better use of resources to run to the public. Especially the press, and also don't forget the countercult movements. I also think that mental health organizations such as psychology and psychiatry unions should have whatever info we can pass on to them. If it were up to me I would invite psychology students to our apostofests; let them get a good look (for those ex-jw's who are comfortable) at the results of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I ran around on the internet and at websites; toddled around on various boards, in chatrooms, and began email and telephone relationships....but there is ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTE FOR LIVE FACE TO FACE CONTACT with these incredibly brave souls who will take the time to share their experiences in person. I am forever indebted to these people for opening up to me and its very humbling to hear what they have survived.

For those that need to go on with their lives and cannot look back....all the more power to them. If you got out alive you did everything right. For those that haven't had natural love and kindness for fellow human beings and family still left behind in the Watchtower totally beaten out of them... they are truly heroes to me.

Toodles

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Bridgette,

thanks for your nicely written post.

It is nice to read other's opinion.

Personally I do agree 100% with Tyydyy:

"...It is not minute to so many of us who have friends and family that we care about who are still in the religion. If it was just myself that was affected then yes, I would just walk away and chalk it up to experience. But if there is anything I can do the save someone else, especially my family, then I will have to fight until I die.

I am grateful that I can get together with others who care also."

Great and truthful point, including the saddness that

goes with it.

Dbe and Seeker: Very valid way of reasoning,

after all " if it is within your power to do good..."

I do believe you should do your utmost!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Fred,
    You're so cute! (Bridgette patting Fred's head)
    Thanks for reading my humble post.
    Love,
    B.

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

And thank you all for reading my post and 'specially to those who took the time to respond. It's something I've wanted to write for a while.
    I in NO WAY wanted to invalidate or diminish the pain and suffering that this cult has caused us. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I just don't think realistically it's going away. They're too crafty. Hopefully, I'm wrong and everyone (even those in other cults) can be freed from this spiritual raping machine. We can hope. We MUST hope.
    Dungbeetle,
    You brought out some most impressive thoughts, i.e.: "The other thing that concerns me is the social burden. Many of the children of Jehovah's Witnesses grow up to need a tremendous amount of community resources just to STAY ALIVE...I can give you stories, people I have personally met. Then they need community resources to rebuild their lives and finally to build a new life. If it really is true that the Watchtower is a burden to Society, I believe it should be made to pay somehow."
    It got me to thinking about other ways it's a tremendous social burden. For example, SO much of the preaching work 9os subsidized by the Taxpayer. At least where I came from, single mom pioneers, encouraged to stay on welfare to keep up their pioneering instead of getting their educations, or joining welfare to work programs. And even whole families on welfare, even having more children so they could remain on and do more for so-called Jehovah's organization. Interesting indeed. I wonder if a survey could be done on how many able bodied witnesses accept some kind of aid from the government--a government which they have in the past denounced as Satan's organization.
    Much food for thought. Thank you.
    Love,
    Bridgette

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

oh and quick p.s.
    I am not knocking anyone who needs to validly use public assistance. That's what it's there for. My line of reasoning was that the Org tends to encourage the abuse of such systems to feed it's printing empire gratis.
    B.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Just a thought for you Bridgette....

If 'apostates' were everything JW's say we were, there would be no Kingdom Halls left standing in the U.S.

If 'the world' were everything the Jw's say it was, there would be no JW's left ALIVE.

Good posts Bridgette. Always glad to read your stuff.

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit