Any scriptwriters?

by Abandoned 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

June will be the first annual Script Frenzy. Promoted by the same organization that created National Novel Writing Month, the goal is to create a brand new script of 20,000 words or more in thirty days. You don't have to know anything about screenwriting or formatting -- you will learn all you need to know while taking part.

I can't wait.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

==============================================

Dear Abandoned:

Although, I write and design for the web,
    scriptwriting will be the next project
    that I will undertake.

Currently, I own the book "How To Write A
    Movie In 21 days" authored by Viki King.

Do you know of any other books or soft-
    ware that comes highly recommended?

In addition, do you have an agent that
    your dealing with at this time?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

==============================================

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Hey buddy,

Good luck on your writing goals. I haven't read the book you mentioned, but there are just too many how-to guides for me to sample them all. Here's a couple of things to keep in mind regarding screenplays:

• Format is important. Movie format is different from sit-com format which is different from stageplay format. Make sure you brush up on the subtle differences for the type of screenplay you want to write.
    • Unless you are planning on directing your own play, leave out camera angles, zooming suggestions, and other directorial type comments. These will not endear you to any studio.
    • Write tight, direct prose for your scene descriptions. Think short and to the point.

One book that I think all fiction writers should read at one time or another is The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers. It was written by the writer of the movie Lion King, and basically takes Joseph Cambell's classic 1000 faces of a hero and relates that to screenwriting.

I don't currently have an agent for screenwriting. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to pursue commercial avenues with my screenwriting. I'm simply trying it out and seeing if it's a medium I care to work in.

If you want to get a quick lesson in formatting screenplays, check out Intro to Screenwriting and How To Format A Screenplay. They both have enough information to get you up and going fast.

Most of all, grab your dreams by the horn and hold on for the ride of your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit