18yo nephew wants to know why I left the Troof.

by FreeWilly 5 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I'd love a few ideas here. My nephew has told my sister that he intends to ask me why I left the 'truth'. He's a great kid and I'm hopefull he'll eventually see the light. However he's been raised in the 'truth' and this is all he know's. I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on what best to tell him.

In my mind the reasons are:

The Bible God is a brutal bully intent on genocide.

The Bible itself lacks credibility.

The Society has provided ample evidence that it has no link at all with a divine being - i.e false predictions, wacky, shifting doctrines, etc.

The Society is a controlling organization willfully destroys families.

I fear these are a bit strong for him. Any ideas?

• DJK
    DJK

I'm not sure that I could tell someone else's child, especially a relative, anything that may turn him from his religion and eventually his parent's. Until he is living on his own, I think I would just say it isn't my cup of tea anymore.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Tell him you can no longer find it in your heart to attribute an infinite universe to a tiny desert deity; for certainly the true Source of such glorious unending grandeur must be far greater still. Tell him you do not know what God is, but you are now wise enough to know what it's not -- and so not shrink and reduce it down to the murderous, anthropomorphic, tribal-god found within the pages of the Bible; your heart simply can no longer belittle the Divine in such a foolish and gross way. The rest of the world can, but you will not.

This is along the same lines that you presented above. Hopefully you can get a genuine sense of this yourself and so then presenting it in this way may place you in a more honorable and respectful light that may help motivate your dear nephew to humbly question his own beliefs.

Good luck,

j

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

He is 18 and no longer considered a minor, so why not just tell him the truth. He must want to know or he wouldn't ask you. JMO

Leslie

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'd say this:

It used to work for me. Then it stopped working and nothing I did made it start working again. When you keep trying to make something work, and it won't, the best thing to do is to take a break. So I'm taking a break.

This will happen to you, too, someday, and when it does, take some time off and get away from it for a while. If it's the truth, the break will do you good and you will be refreshed and ready to come back with renewed zeal. If that doesn't happen, you will know God has a different plan for you.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I usually don't tell people what I found. I show them where I found it.

I stay way away from Bibles, and religion. I stick to practices and behaviors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit