CALLING ENDED IN 1880 OR THEREABOUTS

by badboy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

WAS THIS THE LITTLE CROWD?

I UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT CT RUSSELL SAID.

HE SAID DOOR WAS SHUT.

30,000 OF THE 40,000 OR SO HAD DESERTED,SO CTR SAID.

• badboy
    badboy

THIS IS WHEN CTR SAID THAT THE 144,000 HAVE BEEN CHOSEN.

NO MORE PEOPLE COULD BE ONE OF THE 144,000 FROM THAT DATE!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I'm still reading CoC so I'm still not sure. How did I manage to miss all this stuff when I was a dub kid??

I guess I was too busy prentending to follow along and my little brain just didn't absorb this stuff, you would think that all the studying we were made to do I would have retained something!!!

nj

• juni
    juni

When having done research on CT Russell now, it amazes me how stupid I was to get involved with this religious cult.

At that time, I chose to put the blinders on and believe and accept the spin that they put on this idiot. Just another man following the movement of his day.

My decision to get involved w/the WTS had such horrible ramifications on my family. We only have one life and it was all such a waste of time and a load of hurt on my children.

Juni

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** zw80 12/1 p. 7 The Temple-Building Type ***

We believe that the seven years (“harvest”) from the autumn of 1874 to 1881, is the time for the construction of this temple, i.e., the bringing of all the members -- fruit-bearing branches of the Vine -- into the perfect spiritual condition ... If we are correct in this matter, it proves, in harmony with the parallelism of the Jewish and Gospel ages, not only that the door of favor to the “high calling -- to be the bride -- the temple will end in the autumn of 1881, but it also proves, as that parallelism does, the presence of Christ.... Our change from natural to spiritual bodies we at one time supposed to be the marriage, but we now see that the change precedes, as making us ready for the marriage....

Dearly beloved, if we believe these things, our works will attest our faith. If you and I believe that the door to the “high calling” closes in less than a year, should we not increase our efforts to bring all Christians into the light of present truth – the knowledge of the bridegroom’s presence -- that they and we may be more fully separated from the world.

*** zw81 1/1 p. 4-5 “How Long O Lord” ***

Thus is a question doubtless that many ask themselves, viz: “How soon will our change come?” This change many of us have looked forward to for years, and we yet with much pleasure, think of the time when we shall be gathered unto Jesus and see him as he is. In the article concerning our change, in December paper, we expressed the opinion that it was nearer than many supposed and while we would not attempt to prove our change at any particular time, yet we propose looking at some of the evidences which seem to show the translation or change from the natural to the spiritual condition, due this side or by the fall of our year 1881.....

We shall now present what we adduce from the types and prophetic points as seeming to indicate the translation of the saints and closing of the door to the high calling by 1881. We first notice the building of the Temple, by Solomon which seems to be a type of the spiritual as indicated in Act vii. 4-7...If this be a correct application (and it seems harmonious) and the time of building is seven years, then we would expect our change by or betore the fall of 1881... Matt. xxv. and the parallelism of the Jewish and Gospel ages, seem to teach that the wise of the virgins “who are alive and was a stranger in the land of Midian,” when he took the remain ” must all come in”, to a knowletlge of the Bridegroom’s presence, by the fall of 1881, when the door -- opportunity to become a member of the bride -- will close.

But it is possible that the change to the spiritual condition -- the going in to the marriage on the higher plane-- may not occur at the same moment to each individual. We suggest as quite possible, that the change may come to some prepared, before that time. ....If the three years mentioned in connection with Aaron has any bearing, then it would teach our change as coming this side of 1881, as three years from 1878 would bring us inside of that time.

• stev
    stev

These quotes from the WT around 1881 shows that Russell still continued to believe in the rapture at that time. In the Harvest Siftings article, Russell connects his change of view with the failed expectation of the rapture in 1878, although Russell does not clearly state that his change of view occurred then. Russell moved the events of the resurrection and rapture from 1874(5?) and 1878 which was taught in the Three Worlds, to 1878 and 1881. I am not sure when he did this. Perhaps the quotes can be found.

Russell expected the door to the high calling closed in 1881. Of course, if all the wise virgins, Little Flock, would be raptured in 1881, this would follow. The door being closed is from the Parable of the Virgins. Some of the Millerites after 1844 also declared the door closed, but they meant the door to salvation. Russell meant the door to the Little Flock. However, the rapture did not occur in 1881, and Russell subsequently gave up the idea that the saints would be raptured while alive, but concluded that all the saints would die as a sacrifice of their humanity. The change would take place after their death.

Russell nevertheless continued to teach that the door to the high calling was closed in 1881, and no more could be spirit-begotten. But later, Russell again changed his mind, and claimed that crowns that were lost would be replaced by others. As a result, Russell's Bible Students were uncertain what their standing before God was, whether they were spirit-begotten or not. Russell postponed the glorification to sometime before 1914, but that also failed to occur.

Perhaps quotes from the Watch Tower could be found to show Russell's changed viewpoints. Zygmunt in his doctoral thesis devotes several pages to 1881. THis is the only place that I have found that explains this.

• zack
    zack

I wish the internet had been available to me when I was 13. I would have shrugged off all the JW nonsense with info like this.

ZACK

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Until 1881!

Cheers! Atlantis-

• badboy
    badboy

ATLANTIS, MOST INTERESTING.

• RR
    RR

What Russell believed and taught was that the "general call" has ceased NOT that the call to be of the heavenly class was complete. He believed since 1881 that the number was filled, however the possibility of some failing in their walk and thus needing replacements. He NEVER taught the two class of Christians that the Society teaches today. ALl BIble Students in Russell day were running for the high calling.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit