WTBTS on WBBR radio (1924)

by sf 2 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

A search resulted in this lil' tidbet:

< http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/am4.html

"WBBR New York
    This article appeared in Popular Communications in May 1994. It is reproduced here with permission. Thanks to Jim Douglass for providing the back issue of the magazine.
    By ALICE BRANNIGAN

In the January issue, we discussed station WBBR, the old Watchtower Bible and Tract Society station on 1330 kHz that had its transmitter on Staten Island, New York City, and studios in Brooklyn. Religious station WBBR first went on in 1924. We noted that it went off the air on April 15th, 1957, after it was sold to a new owner, who called it WPOW.

It turns out that the man who purchased WBBR and turned it into a commercial station happens to be one of our regular readers, and he wrote to provide information about WPOW. His name is H. Scott Killgore, who now owns KMPG/1520, of Hollister, Calif.

Under the name Tele-Broadcasters, Mr. Killgore also owned KUDL, Kansas City, Mo.; KALI, Pasadena, Calif.; WARE, Ware, Mass.; WKXL, Concord, N. H.; WKXV, Knoxville, Tenn.; and WPOP, Hartford, Conn. He recalls that he paid $133,000 for WBBR, which included the mint condition 5 kW RCA transmitter that had been used only 30 hours per week.

The transmitter site was an 18-acre farm, complete with a 24-room house, a swimming pool, a cannery, a barn, two greenhouses, and 20 chicken houses. After the station was purchased, Mr. Killgore found out that there was no power on the property except for a huge generator plant that was sufficient to serve a town of 30,000. The catch was that nobody could run the generator except for the man who had built it. He was 70 years old and said he was retired. That meant the power company had to bring in a power line from three miles away.

Another interesting self-sufficient feature was that the farm had a storage tank for millions of gallons of water. Mr. Killgore needed to pump in water once a year in order to meet the daily needs of the facility.

The 18-acres Mr. Killgore purchased were part of a 30-acre farm operated by the Jehovah's Witnesses, from whom he had bought WBBR. The farm sent food to the Witness facilities in Brooklyn, where they fed 1,000 at each meal. Mr. Killgore had no immediate plans for the farming potentials of his parcel of land, but he recalls that it was always in the back of his mind that no matter how bad business might be at WPOW, he could still live off the land if necessary.

WPOW claimed it was the first new broadcast station in New York City in 14 years. The studio was located at 41 East 42nd Street. This was one room measuring only four by six feet. Mr. Killgore says that it took only three people to run WPOW, and the station made money with its Top-40 music format.

In time, WPOW was sold. It no longer exists. Now the 1330 kHz slot in New York City is occupied by 5 kW station WNYM. We are therefore particularly pleased to have had the opportunity to get an inside look at this station, as described by its founder. Doubly special because we are proud to number Mr. Killgore as "one of our own."

-----

sKally, happy trails!

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

sKally,

Very, very interesting read. Thanks for posting it. When I was a youngin' growing up during the 1950's, I recall some of the old-timers talking about the weekly broadcasts from the WBBR station...I think they were relayed throughout the USA.

• sf
    sf

Yea, it peaked my interest too. I love doing "search adventures"...so much out there.

Glad you enjoyed it.

sKally, happy trails!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit