The FDS and NO governing body?!?

by cecil 4 Replies latest jw friends

• cecil
    cecil

In the early 1990's (if I remember correct either 1991 or 1992) there were talks at the district conventions entitled "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" and "The Faithful and Discreet Slave (FDS) and its Governing Body (GB)". It was a series of talks that covered the issue FDS through nearly 2000 years of history. As usual, these talks became articles (study-articles) in the WT 6-8 months after they were held at the conventions.

The talk i remember best was "The FDS and its GB". The emphasis was on how close the ties there have been between the FDS and the GB through the centuries - especially in the first century and from the late 19th century onwards. There was then - in the early 1990's absolutely no possibility to imagine a FDS without a GB. To the opposite: The GB was to be considered the most vital, most important part of the FDS - although only stated between the lines.

Things that I have heard and read in the past months have made me think: Long-time elders, two CO's and a DO (I only know his point of view by quote) have explained to me (and my father, who quoted the DO for me) that they can imagine a FDS without a GB. AND: They even can imagine a FDS that consists of both anointed and non-anointed. BECAUSE: This is the way things are going to develop anyway. The FDS could very well consist of non-anointed ONLY within a few years.

Now that one made me think. Is there something I have missed?! Is there a WT-article they have read that I have not read/seen yet. Hmmm… I don’t think so. There must be something else!

A couple of letters I have received from our branch office lately – on private questions reg. doctrinal issues - use a language and expressions (or: I can’t find some common expressions…) that seem very interesting to me: The lack of the words “The Governing Body” both stand-alone and in connection with the FDS is so obvious, that it made me wonder: Is there a hidden agenda (or an open agenda maybe, that I’ve not been aware of) that – very slowly of course - introduces a new class, a new group “to take the lead” so to speak?. The “new” FDS – now consisting of those who have worked close together with anointed (and still do so) who made up the “former” GB, but belong to “the other sheep”. A group of men that is no longer called a GB, but is an invisible group in the background to make the decisions, a group to be the FDS – but in a new shape? New light?! Is there going to be a Faithful and Discreet Slave WITHOUT a Governing Body?! New light?!

Any comments?
    cecil

• outnfree
    outnfree

The Nethinim?

Some might want to reexamine that WT study article (a search on the CD-ROM should uncover it) which spoke of the specially 'given ones' in light of cecil's post above...

outnfree

Par dessus toutes choses, soyez bons. La bonte est ce qui ressemble le plus a Dieu et ce qui desarme le plus les hommes -- Lacordaire

• willy_think
    willy_think

this shift is part of a larger restructuring that began at least one year ago. i don't know what excuses thay will come up with, but in the end of the changes the company will be better protected from law suits and liability. i think, who the acual leadership is will be unclere. it seems to me to be by design. i'll bet you when it's done most witnesses wont be sure who is really on top.
    it's no surprise that the DO and CO are aware of the changes the GB needs men who can read between the lines since that is were the changes in WT policy frist appear. men who pick up on them and embrace them frist can appear to be "in step" or a good compamy man. this ofcourse should and does lead to ever grater "privliges" and authority.
    it's funny how many things one can pass off as wisdom

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

For your reading pleasure:

WT 3/1/99

15 What, though, is the relationship today between the anointed priestly class and such older men who, as part of the great crowd, are serving in positions of oversight? Ezekiel's vision suggests that the elders who are members of the great crowd have a supportive and subordinate role, while the anointed take the spiritual lead. How so? Remember, the priests in the vision were given the responsibility to instruct the people in spiritual matters. They were also told to act as judges in legal cases. Additionally, the Levites were assigned to "posts of oversight" in the temple gates. (Ezekiel 44:11, 23, 24) Clearly, the chieftain was to submit to the spiritual services and leadership of the priests. It is fitting, then, that in modern times the anointed have taken the lead in pure worship. For example, the members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses have been chosen from among them. Such faithful anointed elders have been training the developing chieftain class for decades, preparing prospective members of this class for the day when they will be delegated their full measure of authority in God's new world to come.

And for more....

17 The words "prince" and "chieftain," which have similar meanings in Hebrew, are not used as titles designed to exalt men. Rather, they describe the responsibility these men bear in caring for God's sheep. Jehovah sternly warns: "That is enough of you, O chieftains of Israel! Remove the violence and the despoiling, and do justice and righteousness themselves." (Ezekiel 45:9) It is good for all elders today to take such counsel to heart. (1 Peter 5:2, 3) The flock, in turn, recognizes that Jesus has provided shepherds as "gifts in men." (Ephesians 4:8) Their qualifications are set down in God's inspired Word. (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9) Christians therefore follow the elders' lead.-Hebrews 13:7.

18 In Bible times some chieftains had much authority, others less. Today, elders of the great crowd have widely varying responsibilities. Some serve in one congregation; others serve many congregations as traveling overseers; others serve whole countries as Branch Committee members; others directly assist various committees of the Governing Body. In the new world, Jesus will appoint "princes in all the earth" to take the lead among Jehovah's worshipers on earth. (Psalm 45:16) No doubt he will select many of these from among the faithful elders of today. Because these men are proving themselves now, he will choose to entrust many with even greater privileges in the future when he reveals the role of the chieftain class in the new world.

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• metatron
    metatron

lots of BS and internal politics about what should be
    a simple matter:

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave..?

Anybody that happens to be faithful and discreet!

This is one of those Witness issues that make you
    wonder how they manage to get their pants on in the
    morning - I mean, come on! Read what Jesus said,
    it isn't that complicated!

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit