I could use your help...re: Jessica Lundsford Act, for NC

by Xandria 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Xandria
    Xandria

Hello Everyone,

I know it has been a while since I been online here, however I have been pulled in several directions lately. Here is the issue and I know it is up you’ all alley. I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Jessica Lundsford Story, however we here in N.C. have been working to have H.B. 933/ the Jessica Lundsford Act, for NC, passed.

My husband and I have been working with Janet, Mark Klaas, and many other organizations donating time and resources. However, there have been stonewalling games being played, it has become a Democrat vs. Republican thing, personal agendas getting in the way, etc. We have stated repeatedly that this is not about party politics, our children are not party pawns. You all should see the fussing and fighting going on up there, it is sickening. Some believe that some of these predators can be rehabilitated, okay work that out later. Let us get this passed, so the ones who are violent repeat offenders have stronger registration laws, etc. At least it will cut the odds down of another child dying another horrifying death.

Any and all help with letters, calls, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

X.

From Press Release:
    Citizens and Organizations have banned together to make a stand with Mark Lunsford at “Legislative Day” on Wednesday, April 25 , 2007 in Raleigh, NC. The mission is to facilitate the passing of HB 933/ Jessica Lunsford Act, for NC.

All this could be in vain since the Judiciary II Committee will hear HB 933/ the Jessica Lunsford Act, for NC. On Tuesday, April the 24, 2007. The Chairman of that Committee is: Rep Dan Blue (Democrat-Wake County) If Rep. Dan Blue or the Committee vetoes this bill, Mark Lunsford’s testimony on Wednesday, will be rendered moot and once again, the State of North Carolina will fail to pass a law to protect children. This would be a major step backwards, since last year the bill wasn’t even allowed to be heard.

Therefore, we all must call Rep Dan Blue’s Office on Monday, April 23rd. We must act now! Our Children’s lives and futures depend on all of us to enact. Last year, Rep Jennifer Weiss (Democrat- Wake County) Killed H.B. 1921 which was a bill similar to “Jessica’s Law” and now, they want to do the same with H.B. 933/the Jessica Lunsford Act, for N.C. Just guess who is Vice Chairman of the Judiciary II Committee? You guessed it, Rep. Jennifer Weiss! Out of fifteen members of the JII Committee, nine are Democrats and six are Republicans (you get the party politic picture). These are the people who must be called on Monday, April 23rd, 2007.

The Hit List:

Rep. Dan Blue (Dem- Wake County) Chairman
    (919) 733-5752
    Rep. Rick Glazier (Dem-Cumberland) Vice Chairman
    (919) 733-5601
    Rep. Jimmy L. Love Sr. (Dem-Harnett-Lee) Vice Chairman
    (919) 715-3026
    Rep. Jennifer Weiss (Dem-Wake) Vice Chairman
    (919) 715-3010
    Rep. Alice Borsden (Dem-Alamance) Member
    (919) 733-5820
    Rep. James W. Crawford Jr. (Dem- Granville-Vance) Member
    (919) 733-5824
    Rep. Jim Harrell, III (Dem-Allegany-Surry) Member
    (919) 715-1883
    Rep. Earline W. Parmon (Dem-Forsyth) Member
    (919) 733-5829
    Rep. Timothy L. Spear (Dem-Chowan-Dare-Hyde-Washington) Member
    (919) 715-3029

TELL THEM THAT WE "WANT HB933 "OUT OF COMMITTEE AND VOTED ON, NOW!" The more time we spend not having a defined law, the longer our children are in danger. Now is the time! Forty-one States have already passed a “Jessica’s Law” what are we waiting for? Another child’s life to be lost?

Please call these Representatives on Monday &Tuesday, Call the Media, Newspapers and tell them we must have a Jessica’s Law for North Carolina. Do not allow Dan Blue or the Committee to veto and kill this bill! Like last year.

Your Children’s futures are at stake.............
    PLEASE HELP.....
    May God Bless All our Children
    Janet Morrison, President
    Child Protection Coalition of North Carolina

Resolutions have been signed by:
    • Alamance County Commissioners
    • NC Sheriffs Association
    • 6th District Congressional Convention
    • Concerned Women for America (500,000 Members) and the Concerned Women For America, the North Carolina Chapter
    • Child Protection Coalition and Child Protection Coalition of North Carolina (400,000 Members)
    • Along with 12,600 Petition Signers, (All Registered Voters of North Carolina)
    All support this House Bill passing.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

can we call Tuesday April 24th

If so, I will

purps

• Xandria
    Xandria

Yes you can call, all the way up till Wed. that is when Mark Lundsford comes in and he will be testifying. Unfortunately, those opposed to this (can't imagine why) pulled a stunt to try to kill this H.B. and set back this matter. It will be another year (it will make 2), if this is allowed to happen, where someone has to start at the square one and push to get it to committee.

There were two other bills that were messed with this way. Last year Bill 1921 wasn't even allowed to be heard and it was killed. This bill was the closes to Jessica's Law, as any.

Thank you so much for your help.

X.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Thank you to those who called!

Mark Lundsford did get heard, even though the day before the comittee sent the bill to another comittee, in an attempt to table it for a longer period of time.

Here is the news story by News 14.

X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit