Report from a bookworm

by Snowcrash 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Snowcrash
    Snowcrash

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I think I made my account when I had what, just turned 19 I think? I was doing research on some of my doubts then, but by that time, I had pretty much made up my mind to leave. I just had to find a way to tell my mother. It took me until I was 20, and it just kind of slipped out. I didn't even plan it. Funny how that kind of thing works out. At least I got to celebrate my 21st birthday. I think. The details are kind of fuzzy still.

I guess since then I've gone through a personal rennaisance. I've always been a big reader, and I read things I would never have even dared to as a JW. I read a lot of philosophy, books on other religions and such, thinking I should round myself out after all the stuff the WTS put in my head. I expected to find something that would change my world view completely, and show me a new way of life. Nothing happened. No matter how many books on buddhism, judaism, catholicism, existentialism, objectivism or any other kind of -ism I read, the only thing I was left with was how much I disagreed with them. Some I disagreed with less than others, and some made very valid points that I do think are worth some merit, but other than that, I just disagreed.

And then, one day, I realized what this whole mess was about. I have the right to disagree now. For so long, I didn't have the right to my own opinion. I had to be in lock-step with the Watchtower Society. Dissent was blasphemy, how dare I think any differently?

So naturally, I went looking for something to read on the subject and I realized that I was placing too much importance on what a bunch of dead authors said that I was missing out on life. So I got a good job, picked up a few hobbies, made some good friends, and got a good girlfriend who I swear I'm going to marry someday.

When I left, I was told I was leaving behind the only chance for happiness I would ever have. That Jehovah would kill me, and I'd die in obscurity, unfulfilled. That I was wasting my life and my talents.

I, of course, disagree.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Greetings from another bookworm!

Recently, I've read books that question Jehovah's Witnesses, the Bible, Religion, Authority, Empire Culture, Civilization, Traditional and Industrial Agriculture, and even Work. I agree. We have the right to disagree!

Dave

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Vary nice post Snowcrash...

Thanks for sharing...

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

I love to disagree! Welcome back, Snowcrash! Your thread title caught my eye, as I too love to read! Glad you are back. Your post was very nice. I'm so happy for you.

• moshe
    moshe

Welcome back Snowcrash! Well, in my case it was reading that got me into the JW mess- that stupid little blue "Truth" book that sugarcoated and simplified Jehovah's big plan and how I, too could be in paradise. I could avoid personal responsibility for my life and just jump on the SS Watchtower's ship to freedom. Glad to hear you are making your own way in life now.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Snow, good for you, Moshe, that BlueBomb, THE TRUTH THAT LEADS TO EVERLASTING LIFE, captured me too. Reading opposing positions, using critical thinking can help get us out of all kinds of false reasonings.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit