Manchester UK to Oxford (Assistance Please)

by JW_Researcher 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Greetings,

If you have knowledge about travel in the UK, I'd appreciate your assistance.

I need to get from the Manchester airport to Oxford. When I look at the train website ( http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html ) I see there are trains that run frequently and seem to be inexpensive enough.

Is that the best way to travel? I don't want to rent a car. Any other suggestions?

Is there anything I need to know about the trains? Should I purchase tickets before I go or just buy them on site?

Thanks for any ideas.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Hi i don't know how soon you need the tickets for, but i just rang hubby as he works on the trains. He says you can ask for the Virgin Value tickets, as early as you can as the earlier you book them the cheaper it is, as they only have a limited number at the cheaper prices. You can do this through Virgin or the national rail enquiries he believes. The only thing is that you have to stick to the specified trains, you can't use them on another train say, if you missed the first one .Hope that is of some use. www.virgintrains.com

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Thanks very much for the tip and URL. I'll check it out.

• fifi40
    fifi40

Alternative is coach travel with National express. Had a rough check for you and think trip time is about five and half hours (this may include a change) and is costing about £27 for one way travel. The website is http://www.nationalexpress.com

Hope this helps

Fi

• Clam
    Clam

You could also fly from Manchester airport to Heathrow in west London. then get the Oxford Express coach from Heathrow to Oxford which takes about an hour and is very regular. That's better than using the Underground and train I reckon.

Clam

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Only get the national express bus if you like long monotonous hours on british motorways. Otherwise definitely take the train. It will cost a bit more but I always decide that my time is way more precious than money.

Where are you coming from and is it a business trip or pleasure? Oxford is a beautiful place.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Thank you for the link regarding the bus and the warning about the trip on the bus. I don't like the bus as it can make me a bit car sick if I can't see straight ahead.

Flying to London might be an option also but I think I'll simply take the train and enjoy the countryside.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit