A companion animal was mauled to death by a pair of pit bulls today.

by Madame Quixote 9 Replies latest social family

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I was in the middle of a family-related meltdown when it happened.

The two stray pit bulls were in my yard as I left the house to deal with my daughter's defiance over something stupid. I was gone for about ten minutes, and left some of her things at her boyfriend's apartment (with an eviction notice for her).

When I got back home the terriers were still in the yard, lounging around like it was their own! I asked the neighbors next door if they had any ideas about whose dogs these were, and proceeded to corral them into our backyard for their own safety (!) because no one knew anything, although the neighbors across the street had already called Animal Control while I was out. I was going to do it when I returned home, but was distracted with my "crisis."

Unbeknownst to me, they had killed a companion cat while I was out. I found Sandy Lion in the front yard a little while later after a neighbor informed me that she'd seen one of the dogs carrying "a white puppy around in its mouth." I immediately began to fear for my cats. The one who was killed has a white "bib" at her throat.

Animal Control only has two people on-call Sunday in this county, so it took well over two hours before they came and picked up the terriers who got out of the fence while we waited for them. We had to go out and babysit the terriers and one of the cats that we couldn't initially find and then we couldn't get her inside the house because she was so spooked by the dogs.

All in all, it has been a draining day and I feel I deserve a drink. My daughter is now doing as I asked her to do, as I have taken her privileges away and forbidden her to disrespect me from this day forward. That might last 24 hours. Who knows?

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

The dogs who killed the cat and a sad image of the cat. Don't look at the cat if you don't like graphic images. It is here for the purpose of a blog and letter to the editor regarding Animal Control's lack of staff on Sundays:

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/Joy2theworld_2007/Companion%20Animals/

My daughter is going to help me put up the living pictures of Sandy Lion soon.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

im sorry for your loss......I hope that the owners can be located and dealt with for letting these dogs run loose.

pit bulls are banned in many areas where i live. you cannot own them.'

purps

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

This is truly disturbing! They are considering banning pit bulls in my area too, because there have been about 5 attacks in a very short period of time. I really do hope the legislation gets passed, because we obviously cannot count on the owners being responsible.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for the family problems that you're having. You'll be in my thoughts. (((((hugs)))))

• Finally-Free
  • Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Thanks all. I think the family issues are resolved for the moment. The owner of the dogs called this evening as I was making the post above. He agreed to have the dogs' rabies vacs updated and was very, very sorry. Because I had the address, I visited their home this evening and informed their neighbor (or someone posing as a neighbor) of what had happened.

Of course, that doesn't make anything better, but hopefully the dogs won't get out again. For the time being, they're in doggie jail at Animal Control and will be supervised there for a certain time period until considered uncontaminated. NHC Animal Control needs to hire a lot more staff members for this county. Pit bulls are very popular here, and there seems to be no ban in sight for hillbilly town!

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Although New Hanover Co. has considered and (I think) passed a leash law (perhaps laughable) for CATS!

I have posted some nice pictures at the link above of Sandy Lion, a cat adopted as a kitten who strayed into our yard over ten years ago.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

god,i am so sorry about yer kitty...what a nightmare!!!!you do deserve a drink,and a back rub....

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Poor thing

In the UK whether it was a banned breed or not (pitbulls are here) and regardless of whether a dog does any damage/harms anything, the owner can be fined for failing to keep their dogs under proper control.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear MQ,

How heartbreaking! We have loose Pits here also. A pair of them killed my neighbor's cat, and also one attacked one of my Dobies when we were out walking. Why is it people who have the meanest dogs can't seem to keep them contained?

When the Pit went for my dog's throat, my Dobie got a hold of his ear and bit down hard sending the dog shreaking for cover. It left me weak in the knees. I can no longer walk my dogs in the neighborhood.

I'm so sorry about your cat.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit