beliefs about 1914/1918 prior to current teaching

by dust 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dust
    dust

I saw a scan only a few weeks ago, I think it was from The Golden Age, and it stated something completely different than what is taught now. But I don't remember where I saw it...

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't understand your question. Can you add more information?

By the way, Rutherford thought the world ended in 1914 and his era was "the golden age". That's where the name for the magazine came from.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Dust:

It was taught that Jesus returned in 1874 and that Armageddon was due in 1914.

Additionally, when that was proved wrong, they taught that Jesus came in 1914 to Heavenly Power. At that time, the GREAT TRIBULATION began and then miraculously in 1918 it was "cut short"(on account of the Holy Ones) or "stopped" temporarily until the Anointed and the Great Crowd were gathered, then it would RESUME and go on into Armageddon.

This belief was taught until 1966 or 1967.

u

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Golden Age magazine name was eventually changed to Awake!, and that's why when you look up Awake!, the code would be a "g". The "g" stands for Golden Age.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The world ended in 1914 and the great tribulation started then. Then the tribulation was set to pause so more people could be saved by printed page. The tribulation was scheduled to resume and then Armageddon would start.

• dust
    dust

Thanks for clarifying the matter for me! As mentioned, I think I saw a scan here a few weeks ago, where this was mentioned in a concise form ("The Jehovah's Witnesses believe..." or something), and I thought I might try to find the Norwegian version somewhere.

• Mile 0
    Mile 0

I just find it amazing that JWs still believe in the F&DS as the instrument god uses to guide his org. It would be one thing for the society to get get the odd little detail wrong here and there, once in a while. But when core beliefs get changed, while at the same time claiming an exclusive hook up with god, this must mean that god flip-flops too.

Mle 0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit