2 Thessalonians 2 vs. JW's

by *jeremiah* 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

In JW land,...how do they deal with the below verses?

If Christ (according to JW's, not me) returned invisibly in 1914,...then who do they say the "man of lawlessness is who proclaims to be God"?

....because the verses say that Christ's return will not happen until this "man of lawlessness" is revealed and will perform deceptive signs and miracles. Who was this guy or organization (according to the WT) and what were the miracles that took place before the year 1914?

2 Thess. 2:

1 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for (that day will not come) until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness [a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don't you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders, 10 and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing.

• Zico
    Zico

The UN... I think?

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Zico,

Did the UN exist before 1914? If so, what were the miracles it performed?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    ,...then who do they say the "man of lawlessness is who proclaims to be God"?

I think it's the clergy of Christendom.

Warlock

• Zico
    Zico
    Did the UN exist before 1914?

Err... No. I guess I'm wrong. Sorry for posting.

• proplog2
    proplog2

This is a good example of how the 1914 obsession screws up their interpretation of other prophesies.

They have become "unsettled" thinking the Day of the Lord has already come.

Consequently, they make the same mistake the apostle John made by jumping to conclusions about the identity of antichrist.

John thought antichrist were the people who quit associating with the Christian Congregation and concluded that there are many antichrists.

• Borgia
    Borgia

Hi Jeremiah,

Here a quote from the WT 2003: *** w03 9/1 p. 6 One True Christian Faith—A Reality ***

The apostle Paul foretold something else that would mark this counterfeit religious system. He wrote: “Let no one seduce you in any manner, because [Jehovah’s day] will not come unless the apostasy comes first and the man of lawlessness gets revealed.” (2 Thessalonians 2:2-4) This “man of lawlessness” is none other than the clergy class that exalted itself into a ruling position over the “Christian” congregation.

Of course the GB did no such thing. They received a heavenly calling..........

Cheers

Borgia

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Interesting,...thanks Borgia,

This “man of lawlessness” is none other than the clergy class that exalted itself into a ruling position over the “Christian” congregation.

4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

First,...apparently "He" must mean they according to the WTS. Second, how has mainstream clergy set "himself" up in "God's temple"?

I wonder what the WTS considers/ed God's temple?

...and I wonder what kind of miracles the clergy performed at the turn of the century.

• heathen
    heathen

Not many people proclaim themselves to be God , Ceasar would do that or perhaps the WTBTS itself would do that , I've read articles where they stated that they are in union with God to the point that you can even call them jehovah and then they cited some old testament stuff where a prophet was called jehovah or some such thing. It does look like the apostle Paul is talking about apostates and people forging letters to the congregations back in the first century , perhaps he heard about what jesus spoke of false christs and people saying here is the christ or there is the christ but you must not listen or follow .

• unbaptized
    unbaptized

The man of Lawlessness is the mainstream clergy. For years they have claimed to be apart of God's heavenly temple. They even go as far as telling people that they know God! Manipulating politics, business and the governments. They teach that all people are chosen to go to heaven an be apart of Jehovah's temple, but they are misleading people by the millions. They set up fake healings and focus their ministry on gaining riches as being Jehovah's blessing. When Jesus began ruling around 1914 and the devil was cast out of Heaven, this is the time period when christendom started becoming the most powerful religion on earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit