Re: Amount of living World War I veterans

by MsMcDucket 4 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I got this off this information of the VA web site:

VA Searching for Last Doughboys of World War I
    With the number of known living American veterans of World War I now standing at four, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is seeking public assistance in determining whether others are still alive. (more)

http://www.va.gov/

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Only four left? No wonder that the Borg dropped the doctrine of the "1914 Generation".. Your average dub today would only answer, "So what?"

• White Dove
    White Dove

That is interesting. We do still have 3 more people left to die before that generation can pass away according to WTS. My gramma died at age 97 in 2001. THAT got me to thinking...hmmm...(oh, I was still active at that time). It is totally understandable why they changed the doctrine of "this generation." I wonder why I didn't catch it when they did in '95?

I hope this is part of the point you were trying to make. It is a human interest thing, what you posted, even without the point I made. Did I miss your point? It is kinda interesting, though, that everyone is just about dead.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I put the "RE:" on there because someone had posted that there is only one living WWI veteran. While I was looking up information for my husband on the VA site, I found this on the front page. Yes, it is in regard to "the generation passing away" thing.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh, good. For those of us still dealing with the "What if I'm wrong in leaving?" issues (departure ones), this is a comforting realization. It just about sealed it for me. I mean really, preaching something as absolute truth for decades then changing it (toggle switch off) makes me wonder about truth. I tend to believe that truth is absolute and doesn't change. Either something is true or it's false. What if we could time travel back to that time and preach the "more accurate new light?" We would be DF'd for presumptiousness or running ahead of the org. (how cultish it sounds to me now!). What if we preached "old light" now (does that mean dimmer light or darkness on the light bright meter?)? We would be DF'd for not accepting correction, as it would be our fault for missunderstanding the generation thing in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit